123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

French v. German?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

French or German?
French
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
German
70%
 70%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 17

dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: French v. German? Reply with quote

If you only had two foreign language classes you could take, and had to take one which would it be French or German? I ask since I'm thinking about taking one of them over the Summer at a local college.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you want to do with them as languages, once you have acquired them.

Aquafire

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went German. Only because that is my lineage. . .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:
It depends on what you want to do with them as languages, once you have acquired them.

Aquafire

Very true. If you want to become a chef or move to Quebec, learn French. Many English words with Latin origins are almost identical in French and nouns can only be one of two genders. On the negative side, pronunciation is difficult for English speakers and grammar rules aren't particularly rigid.

German is much easier to pronounce for English speakers and grammar rules are more rigid (so when you learn the rules, there aren't too many exceptions). But there's more grammar to learn (3 noun genders, more cases, etc.) and German vocabulary has more in common with medieval English than modern English.

But when I was fourteen, I had to choose between them. Despite my French teacher's urging that I stay with his class, I chose German.
DCGuy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

French
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did French, Spanish and Latin at school and was rubbish at all of them. I probably would have been ok if I'd only had to learn Spanish, but doing three was hard work and just totally confused me. I have always fancied learning another languauge, although just not when I was at school and being given the oppurtunity too. Razz

I think the English are a bit lazy on the language front, we largely expect others to learn English but we never both to learn any others.

I started trying to learn German recently but put it on hold whilst I did my degree. It does seem a lot harder than French though in my opinion but that may just be me as I hated French, or was it just the French teacher Razz

I will try again one day, with German though.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
robinscruffy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed speaking French when I could remember it Very Happy I like the fact that whatever I said flowed and sounds nice.

My Dad took German back in the day Laughing It's a lot like English in some areas so learning shouldn't be as hard as French.

It's really up to you! Very Happy
- iPod Touch 8GB

Visit www.thebigapples.net Very Happy Podcasts, Videos & more Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Spanish?
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took German back in HS. I think Spanish is where it's at these days.
Livenstak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, German is (I am learning it right now) definitely harder than French for me. What? Oh, yeah, forgot to mention I am French ...

French I believe is, as mentioned, less rigid than German. So it is easier to speak so so, but difficult to speak well, whenever it is difficult in German to achieve even a so so level, but easier (probably) once you're there to go to the next level. However, German is difficult for English-speaking natives as genders, declinations and verb structure is really different from Englisg. Also, I have noticed that you must know what you're going to say in German (as verbs are often in the last position of the sentence), when you can start saying something in French without having any idea on how it will end.

Last, it's better with chicks
Wink
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Livenstak wrote:
French I believe is, as mentioned, less rigid than German. So it is easier to speak so so, but difficult to speak well, whenever it is difficult in German to achieve even a so so level, but easier (probably) once you're there to go to the next level. However, German is difficult for English-speaking natives as genders, declinations and verb structure is really different from Englisg. Also, I have noticed that you must know what you're going to say in German (as verbs are often in the last position of the sentence), when you can start saying something in French without having any idea on how it will end.

Last, it's better with chicks
Wink

All very true. It takes time to remember that all of the verbs and auxiliary verbs have to be saved until the end of the sentence while you're saying the other stuff that comes before.

I began to learn French when I was 7 and abandoned it at 14, but didn't start German until I was 13 and stayed with it (on and off) until I was 22. After all of this time, my German ability is weak but far better than my French. And yet, I feel far more comfortable speaking the little French I have remembered. It just feels like a more 'natural' language for me - probably because I started to learn it sooner.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: how fluid? Reply with quote

As people mentioned that French flows better, but for me is harder to pronounce (also silent letters). German, while it may not flow as well, is easier for me to pronounce.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took 3 years of German in High School. It wasn't the most popular language in my school. In my 3rd year, there were 3 people taking German 3, one was German, one was from Denmark, (they speak German,) and me. The class was combined with the German 2 class. My daughter took French which in her school is the least populated class. She's interested in taking German in college, she's in her Berlin faze.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

French is sexy...but as someone mention, spanish may be one to look into also.
Livenstak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for silent letters and French pronunciation: you'll get what is called an 'exotic accent', and that will be fine with the ladies too. Wink (sorry I get a little bit too centered on that one)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: