123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NullRiver Intros MediaLink for PS3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: NullRiver Intros MediaLink for PS3 Reply with quote

NullRiver Intros MediaLink for PS3
Tuesday, January 8, 2008
Posted by: Glenn

NullRiver has announced the release of MediaLink, a new application that allows you to stream content from your Mac to a Sony PlayStation 3. According to the company, "Enjoying your media through the PlayStation 3 has never been this easy, on any platform -- and the Mac isn't just any platform. It's our favorite platform, so we've taken great care to create a seamless solution." MediaLink supports all the formats that the PlayStation 3 supports, including: MP3, WMA, WAV, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, H.264, AVI, WMV & ASF, DIVX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, BMP and more. It is priced at $20 and requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later, iTunes, iPhoto, and a PlayStation 3 with a network connection.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/852.html
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it works well because it costs substantially less than EyeConnect and TwonkyMedia.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works better than Twonkyvision and Eyeconnect. I've had nothing but problems with Eyeconnect and was currently using Twonkyvision. Though MediaLink has a better setup and works smoother overall.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Works better than Twonkyvision and Eyeconnect. I've had nothing but problems with Eyeconnect and was currently using Twonkyvision. Though MediaLink has a better setup and works smoother overall.

Cool! The interface looks nice. I can't wait to hook things up and give it a try. I have my PS3 disconnected at the moment. I need to buy an HDMI switch soon. I'm tired of crawling behind my TV and messing with cables.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its nice that everything has preview pictures. On Twonkyvision it was just a standard file pictures.

MediaLink is accessed from SystemPreferences. Whereas TwonkyVision is through your web browser.

Twonkyvision would take work to set up files and folders. Setting it up in the browser pages. You would have to restart the server everytime you added a new folder. Sometimes you would have to rescan the content folders to get something you've just added to your folder.

MediaLink basically was setup from the get go. I could also basically go through every folder, since you can set it to your user folder.
Plus when you surf iTunes, it only shows you the files you can actually play. TwonkyVision would show you everything, yet everything wouldn't play.

Eyeconnect was nothing but problems for me. I could barely get it work. And when I did, it was worse than TwonkyVision.
kyle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works half as well as Connect360 does, than I strongly suggest this product.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Well its nice that everything has preview pictures. On Twonkyvision it was just a standard file pictures.

MediaLink is accessed from SystemPreferences. Whereas TwonkyVision is through your web browser.

Definitely. I really like MediaLink better than Twonky. But I have a question. Do you have anything show up in the iTunes panel? Mine is empty. The iPhoto panel will let me select what I want.

SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

Definitely. I really like MediaLink better than Twonky. But I have a question. Do you have anything show up in the iTunes panel? Mine is empty. The iPhoto panel will let me select what I want.
Mine is empty as well. But I have much more access to my music. I've just realized that some of my music won't play. So I'm converting the few songs needed.

But this program works really well. Once in a while (on TwonkyVision), during movie streaming, the movie would stutter or stop. I've just streamed 2 movies on MediaLink with no problems and 5.1 audio.

Well, the nice thing about this. It is a new program, so there should be plenty of improvements or additional features added down the line. For now, it works really good.
Number5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three quick comments.

1. No AAC! It appears that Connect360 supports AAC and Apple Lossless files. Is this a Sony issue or software issue?

2. I haven't tried EyeConnect, but the interface is way better than TwonkyVision. I hate working in the browser.

3. Buffering before video playback seems longer than TwonkyVision. It's smooth once it starts though. All of the supported video formats seem to do well.

There is room for improvement, but a nice start overall.
Jill Sandwich

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No AAC??!! Damn!
lawman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it this a viable alternative to a mini HTPC? Shocked Can I backup DVD's, PVR TV via EyeTV and have it all ported through a nice frontend? Or should I stick with the Mini and FrontRow?
qrayg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been using EyeConnect for quite a while now and it actually works when compared to MediaLink.

1. AAC support. 90% of my music is in AAC. EyeConnect plays all of my music perfectly... MediaLink does not.

2. Aliases. I have an alias to an external drive with all of my videos. EyeConnect reads aliases and streams my videos perfectly... MediaLink does not.

One thing that MediaLink has going for it is speed. It's really fast when compared to EyeConnect. I think I'll stick with EyeConnect though. I haven't had any issues with EyeConnect and within the first 2 minutes of using MediaLink I was disappointed.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qrayg wrote:
Well, I've been using EyeConnect for quite a while now and it actually works when compared to MediaLink.

1. AAC support. 90% of my music is in AAC. EyeConnect plays all of my music perfectly... MediaLink does not.
If you look at NullRivers website, it states that AAC compatibility is coming soon. They're already at 1.02.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Mine is empty as well.

Thanks, just checking.

lawman wrote:
So it this a viable alternative to a mini HTPC? Shocked Can I backup DVD's, PVR TV via EyeTV and have it all ported through a nice frontend? Or should I stick with the Mini and FrontRow?

I would rather have a second Mac mini dedicated for HTPC. I would just look at using a PS3 like the Apple TV. It's basically just a streaming extension. I need to keep using my Mac mini as a traditional desktop, so this works out well for me.

everyone wrote:
No ACC support

I hope they add it soon like advertised. My collection consists of 192 kbps MP3s, so it doesn't really matter.
DomK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, how I wish the PS3 had gigabit ethernet. It takes forever to copy a file to the PS3 from my Mac Mini or MacBook. MediaLink is working great otherwise. I wonder how log it will take for them to add AAC support? I'm not buying until they add it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: