123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LaCie Unveils New d2 Quadra

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: LaCie Unveils New d2 Quadra Reply with quote

LaCie Unveils New d2 Quadra
Monday, January 7, 2008
Posted by: Glenn

LaCie today unveiled the second generation of its quadruple-interface d2 Quadra with the LaCie Shortcut Button and included EMC Retrospect Express backup and recovery software. According to the company, "With the ability to choose between eSATA, FireWire 800, FireWire 400 and USB interfaces, this professional storage device was designed by Neil Poulton to offer the same sturdiness and innovative aluminum heat sink system that is also seen on the LaCie 2big and LaCie Little Big Disk. With 60 percent more surface area than a standard design, it offers more efficient heat dissipation without the need of a noisy fan." Available in capacities of 320GB to 1TB, the new drive is available today starting at $189.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/850.html
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the old model gets seriously discounted now. Nothing against the new model, but I would like to have two that match.
edmetric

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
I hope the old model gets seriously discounted now. Nothing against the new model, but I would like to have two that match.

I just bought two d2 quad 500s for my C2D mini. I run one on fw and one on usb. If LaCie discounts them, I'll get two for my wife's mini. These are seriously good drives. Very Happy

I formatted them APM/hfs+ and made them bootable with a Leopard load.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: D2 quad's with new look Reply with quote

I think "it offers more efficient heat dissipation without the need of a noisy fan" is a very good idea. But is is only good if the HDD's used (bigger discs with more platters so more noise and heat?) will keep cool and silent. Anybody any idea what brand drives they use here as LaCie only produces the outer shell and interface... I have 2 older D2 cases, one with a self mounted Seagate Barracuda 200 disc in it and the other a CDRW case with a Pioneer DVD drive in it, also self mounted. So one has the quality of the components in its own hand. Of course there is no warranty after opening those cases, but after 1 year that's no issue anyway and the servicebility of these external cases is not difficult after all. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: