123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stock Widget always defaults to original setting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irving

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Stock Widget always defaults to original setting. Reply with quote

Anybody know how I can set this widget to view my choice of stocks instead of always defaulting to the pre set stocks every time that I start up the computer?
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never shut down the computer. Surriously, there isn't much point in shutting down; sleep works just as good. You should leave it on overnight every so often so that OS X can do it's maintenance.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Irving

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Sus, I tried not shutting it down, but it seemed to need a rebooting, which is why I've been shutting it down every night. Otherwise, it seems to slow up.
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Widget always defaults to original setting. Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
Anybody know how I can set this widget to view my choice of stocks instead of always defaulting to the pre set stocks every time that I start up the computer?

Try Konfabulator it's free, the stock widget works and remembers your stocks, and it can be setup like Dasboard or be part of the desktop.

At least with Konfabulator you can also shut your mini off.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it sounds to me like you have a memory leak in one of your Widgets. I believe that the AddressBook widget had a memory leak; either way, one of the preinstalled ones did, I think. You should try to download new ones or clear your dashboard and then restart and then add widgets waiting a couple hours afterwards and see if your Mini slows down. If it doesn't, keep adding widgets until it does. Once it does, you'll know which one is your memory leak.

Also, Dashboard eats up a ton of RAM, so if you don't have a gig, you probably shouldn't be running more than 6 or so.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: