123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Netflix plan do you have?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Netflix plan do you have?
4 DVDs at-a-time
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
3 DVDs at-a-time
48%
 48%  [ 12 ]
2 DVDs at-a-time
24%
 24%  [ 6 ]
1 DVD at-a-time
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
1 DVD at-a-time (limit 2 per month)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I use Blockbuster
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 25

hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnz wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:
3 at a time here. With no Blockbuster even remotely close, Netflix is GREAT! I normally receive about 9 titles a week. 3 on Monday, 3 on Wednesday and 3 on Friday. . . 36 movies a month

Hackers, how do you get this turnover? It doesn't seem plausible. . . Confused
If I mail a movie on Monday (My office in Berkeley to Netflix HQ in San Jose, a 40 minute drive) Netflix reports it in on Tuesday, and I should get a replacement on Wednesday. Now in order to get a replacement again on Friday, I need to send the movie I received on Wednesday back the same day. Are you getting AM delivery and PM pickup? Are you able to burn the movie during that single day? Even assuming you've got these advantages in your favor (and good for you if you do!) Don't you actually get the next week's movies on Tuesday? (Although the mail works on Saturday, Netflix doesn't seem to admit that they do).

I do...The morning I receive them they get "watched" (he he) I'm not sure where they are going or coming from but, I receive and mail on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays...as long as I get them back in the mail the same day before 2p.m. If I goof and get to the Post office late, then yes, it messes up my schedule but, for the most part it runs like clockwork...

(it helps a great deal that I work from home...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I could do 9 a week, but I have been successful at receiving movies around 3pm when my mail gets delivered, rip them for later viewing, and then dropping them off at the post office before 5:30 that same day. Netflix gets them either later that evening or the next morning. I don't know if I could do 36 a month, but 25+ is possible.

I have noticed Netflix is slower to receive returned movies here in the Bay Area than when I lived in Santa Barbara.
barnz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:

I have noticed Netflix is slower to receive returned movies here in the Bay Area than when I lived in Santa Barbara.

They have definitely slowed down over the years, and I guess I assumed that it would be at least as slow if not slower every else. (Poor assumption, I know). There's no way I could mail a movie here on Friday and get a new one by Monday. I honestly don't believe I could put directly in their hands and have them recognize it until the next business day (Monday)...oh well. I'm watching my movies like Hackers these days, which does make for more efficient turn around.
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I mail a movie Monday, it's received on Tuesday, I've a replacement on Wednesday. You've got to be pretty quick at watching them to keep that flow going. The distribution center is in Melville which is the next town over.

I know that Netfix has penalized subscribers that receive too many movies. So far I haven't reached that point because my daughter has access to my queue and does not turn the movies over so fast. I will set her up with her own queue so I can get movies I want to see.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
If I mail a movie Monday, it's received on Tuesday, I've a replacement on Wednesday. You've got to be pretty quick at watching them to keep that flow going. The distribution center is in Melville which is the next town over.

I "watch" them later, if you catch my drift Wink .... I receive and return the same day...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
I know that Netfix has penalized subscribers that receive too many movies. So far I haven't reached that point because my daughter has access to my queue and does not turn the movies over so fast. I will set her up with her own queue so I can get movies I want to see.

I don't think I would call it penalizing, as much as throttling highly demanded movies. For example, I get a lot more movies than my parents. I had Ratatouille on the top of my list for a month before I got it. They got the same movie on the same cycle that they added it to their queue.

It annoys me, because the ones being throttled are probably Netflix's biggest and most reliable customers, but it's not all bad. I still get the same large number of movies, I just get highly demanded movies a little later.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
Bobaloo wrote:

I don't think I would call it penalizing, as much as throttling highly demanded movies. For example, I get a lot more movies than my parents. I had Ratatouille on the top of my list for a month before I got it. They got the same movie on the same cycle that they added it to their queue.

It annoys me, because the ones being throttled are probably Netflix's biggest and most reliable customers, but it's not all bad. I still get the same large number of movies, I just get highly demanded movies a little later.

Same here... Crying or Very sad

<bummed>
barnz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:

It annoys me, because the ones being throttled are probably Netflix's biggest and most reliable customers...

But look at it from their perspective - if "biggest" means highest volume, then that's their least profitable customer, not their most profitable. I don't know what you mean by "most reliable" - for most businesses "most reliable" means most likely to pay on time, or possibly most likely to return to pay again. Neither of these are concerns with subscriptions...
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points. I meant it more in the sense of they tend to be the most consistent subscribers (it costs money to advertise to potential subscribers, it's cheaper to keep the existing ones), and the most evangelical. I know I've turned on at least 4 to 5 of my friends and family to Netflix.

But yes, high volume is more cost for them.
barnz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
...it costs money to advertise to potential subscribers, it's cheaper to keep the existing ones...

True Dat.

And it's a major concern for all businesses. That said, in my experience, Netflix has it "better" than most, in that even people who don't use the service in a minimal way often keep the service for quite a long time. I was a tremendous Netflix evangelist myself for years, but have definitely lost that fervor. I still use it, like it, and respect the business model.
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have anybody watch movies online? Does it require IE browser or will any browser work, such as Firefox?

Side note, does Leopard include IE anymore? I know with Panther it was the ugliest IE i've ever seen.
barnz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it once on my work machine -
the requirements are pretty stringent.

Quote:
Minimum Requirements
* Computer running Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or higher, or Windows Vista
* Internet Explorer version 6 or higher
* Windows Media Player version 11 (DRM version 5145) or later
* An active broadband connection to the Internet
* 1.0 GHz processor
* 512 MB RAM
* 3 GB free hard disk drive space

Anything outside of these parameters won't go through. Even within these req't, your user experience isn't guaranteed....
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnx...the ususal MS lock in crap.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like Blockbuster is about to jack their prices up.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071221/ap_en_mo/blockbuster_prices

It might be time for you Blockbuster guys to come back over. Wink
iLife's a Bitch!
barnz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
It sounds like Blockbuster is about to jack their prices up.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071221/ap_en_mo/blockbuster_prices

It might be time for you Blockbuster guys to come back over. Wink

I think this is the most noteworthy statement in that article:
Quote:
Spokeswoman Karen Raskopf also declined to disclose which current customers will see price hikes other than saying, "We are taking into account the profitability of individual subscribers."

Blockbuster lost half a million online customers in the July-September quarter. Chief Executive James W. Keyes said last month that many of those subscribers were costing his company more than they were worth.

Although Netflix is experiencing a short-term boost from this news, they could also decide to devise ways to improve the cost-effectiveness of individual subscribers. I'm thinking in particular of some of us on this board who are prone to churning a lot of movies per month... Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: