123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Almost bought a PB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leftplay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Almost bought a PB Reply with quote

I just couldn't do it. I wanted to buy a 15-inch PB but in the end couldn't justify spending $2k on a kind of out-dated laptop. I walked out of my local Apple store in shame and took the subway to that special hell on Earth - CompUSA. Last weekend I saw an ad in the Times that CompUSA was running in which they were practically giving a great 15.4-inch widescreen laptop away - $499 after $200 mail-in rebate. Ya its not an Apple but it does look pretty cool and I'm surprised to hear myself say this, the screen on the Acer w/ new anti-reflective technology looks demonstrably better than the PB's. Hard to believe until you see both for yourself. Colors are much more vibrant as is contrast.

Anyways, I think I'll be happy with my Acer Aspire 3500 for a couple of years until Apple comes out with their next gen PB w/ Intel processors - and maybe better screens.

$500 bought me:
1.4Ghz Celeron M
512MB Ram
40GB HD
DVD/CD-RW drive
15.4-inch widescreen lcd w/ Crystal Brite
Built-in wireless b/g

All-in-all not bad.

Sam
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad specs for $500, but you're right, it's not an Apple. You should've just bought another Mini, Laughing.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the specs on the video chipset?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leftplay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video chip is an integrated SiS M661FX. It uses 64MB of system RAM. Not ideal but I really can't complain for the price. Its fine for all the apps I've been running on it - DVD, Internet, WP, Excel, ect. I'm not into gaming so that's not an issue.

If there is one complaint I have it's the lack of a Firewire port. There is a covered 4-pin port so I know that other models have it - wonder how much Firewire cost for the maker? I can buy a Firewire 400/800 PC card but I don't like things sticking out of laptops.

The thing I like most about the laptop is the screen. Like I said contrast and colors look better than Apple screens - and that's saying a lot. I wonder if Apple will switch to a polarized anti-reflective layer instead of the diffused type.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the native resolution of the screen?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leftplay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Native is 1280X800. Here's the specs on the Acer website http://us.acer.com/acerpanam/page4.do?dau22.oid=9721&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=25&CountryISOCtxParam=US&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&crc=2407649507

The CompUSA deal runs until the 6th.
jayhead000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i couldnt see spending that much either... so i just bought a mini. Plus the batteries dont last that long on laptops just yet, and laptops are just not that durable, and they do not keep "up to date" as it is... so why buy an out of date one? I think the mini is sort of a temp fix for me though. I'll bet the pentium power books will rock.
SuperDrive
100GB HD
15" LG Monitor
16 GB iPod touch (free!!)
3rd gen. iPod Shuffle
groups.myspace.com/wiianon
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: