123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
queens_nyc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme? Reply with quote

Hi All -- it's been a while since I've posted; hope everyone has been well. I'm setting up a wireless network in my home and am wondering what the main differences are between Apple's AirPort Express and AirPort Extreme Base stations? Is 802.11n noticeably faster than 802.11g (keep in mind I'm using the low-end 768kbps Verizon DSL)? I'll be wirelessly connecting for basic usage (e-mail, Internet, downloading music, etc.) with an Intel Mac Mini and a new MacBook Pro (loving it!). Which product will I be better off with -- Express or Extreme?

Please advise.

MACBOOK PRO
15.4"::2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo::2 GB RAM::120 GB HD

AIRPORT
Extreme Base Station w/ Gigabit

iPOD
20 GB::White
80 GB::Silver
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Express supports up to 10 users, allows wireless printing from each user and has airtunes...

Extreme has "n", supports up to 50 users, 3 wired ethernet ports for wired/wireless connectivity, USB for sharing drives etc.

So as you can see it depends on your usage. IMO I would forget about 802.11n unless your using an AppleTV. You'll not really see any advantage using your DSL with it.

If you don't need the wired benefit or more than 10 users, I'd opt for the Express, I use one and love it. I print from all 6 machines, no problem. I will say this: if you have 802.11b and 802.11g machines on the network ( I do) when the "b" machines are on it will slow the network a bit, not a big deal just though everyone would like to know....

My 2 cents...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
queens_nyc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Express supports up to 10 users, allows wireless printing from each user and has airtunes...

Extreme has "n", supports up to 50 users, 3 wired ethernet ports for wired/wireless connectivity, USB for sharing drives etc.

So as you can see it depends on your usage. IMO I would forget about 802.11n unless your using an AppleTV. You'll not really see any advantage using your DSL with it.

If you don't need the wired benefit or more than 10 users, I'd opt for the Express, I use one and love it. I print from all 6 machines, no problem. I will say this: if you have 802.11b and 802.11g machines on the network ( I do) when the "b" machines are on it will slow the network a bit, not a big deal just though everyone would like to know....

My 2 cents...

Great. Thanks for the input!

Anyone else have anything to add?

MACBOOK PRO

AIRPORT

iPOD
queens_nyc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:

My 2 cents...

Wanted to update everyone.

I opted for the Airport Extreme, which was on sale for $161 at Best Buy. In the end, I just couldn't give up the wired capabilities, which would have been the case with the Airport Express.

So far, so good. My Mac Mini is wired to the Extreme, while my MacBook Pro connects wirelessly. It definitely works better than the non-Apple routers I've tried. And, as usual, the design is top-notch. Setup was a breeze.

MACBOOK PRO

AIRPORT

iPOD
Grover Time

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to buy one from Apple during the Black Friday sale. This thing is by far the best router that I have ever owned. The range and speeds are incredible. It would be nice to have one more Ethernet port though. And queens_nyc is right about setup, it's a breeze. No regrets so far!
Dogpilot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Extreme is soo much better it would be nauseating to go over all the advantages. Main items are: a lot better range, 5 port hub, Airport Disk (very nice indeed if you want to do media in the house), and the ability to go to the 5.8 ghz band.

My home coverage is now complete, were as before, the kitchen and downstairs was spotty. If you upgrade your Mini's internal card, you can go to the 5.8 band and not have you phones knock your connections down.

Oh, did I mention its not a flying saucer anymore! Actually fits on shelves a bit better.

The advantages of printer and disk sharing, along with the range and hub makes it a great product. Now if Apple ever fixes Leopard's Airport Disk function in the 10.5.2 release, it will be cool again.
Grover Time

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogpilot wrote:
Now if Apple ever fixes Leopard's Airport Disk function in the 10.5.2 release, it will be cool again.

I would also like to see Apple add the ability to do backups with Time Machine in 10.5.2, but that might be pushing things.
queens_nyc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grover Time wrote:
I decided to buy one from Apple during the Black Friday sale. This thing is by far the best router that I have ever owned. The range and speeds are incredible. It would be nice to have one more Ethernet port though. And queens_nyc is right about setup, it's a breeze. No regrets so far!

So far, it does seem like a great product, although a bit pricey. I have tried a couple non-Apple routers, all with very mixed results. I also tested an Airport Express, which worked very well. My only qualm with the Express is the complete lack of wired capabilities. It'd be nice if they could add one extra ethernet port to the Express so you can wire at least one machine to it. The range on it was very good, too. In the end, I exchanged it for the Extreme.

No regrets thus far.

MACBOOK PRO

AIRPORT

iPOD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: