123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Day of Defeat/External Drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cupillac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Day of Defeat/External Drive Reply with quote

Hey All!

I have a 1.66 mini with 2gb of ram and Im looking to play my favourite computer game on it.......the old 1.3 Day of Defeat.

My questions are: I would need to load on bootcamp or parallels so is it possible to load a windows version on an external hard drive and then play the game from there?

Regards!
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parallels can store its virtual machine on an internal or external drive with zero issues.

Boot Camp however is only officially supported to run on internal drives, however some enterprising folks have put it on externals. You can probably google "boot camp external drive" and find lots of info.

As for if the game will play in Parallels or have to be used via Boot Camp, I'm not sure. I don't know anything about the game. Parallels has limited support for 3D games, but some certainly work quite well, others not at all. It seems to be a bit hit or miss.
Cupillac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!

I'm guessing the Mini can run the game as it is an old game.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can trick boot camp.

From what i understand the trick works by installing mac os x on a external. Then installing boot camp or running boot camp once to receive the boot camp cannot run on a external error. Which installs the boot camp key text files then you can boot your windows disk from the startup disk option and install windows on the internal hard drive once the driers are install in boot camp you should be able to switch between the os's on your computer.

If not they recommend using the apple remote.
Cupillac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would update this.

I just installed Windows 7 via Bootcamp on my new MBP and Steam is running well so I am able to play Day of Defeat and Counter Strike!

I did update to the latest Windows 7 nvidia gpu drivers for the macbook,

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: