123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Belkin Intros HDMI 2-to-1 Video Switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Belkin Intros HDMI 2-to-1 Video Switch Reply with quote

Belkin Intros HDMI 2-to-1 Video Switch
Monday, December 03, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

Belkin today announced the availability of their HDMI 2-to-1 Video Switch. The new product links two HD devices to your HDTV through a single HDMI or DVI connection. This could come in handy if you need another input for your Mac mini or Apple TV, for example. The device supports 480i, 480p, 720i, 720p, 1080i and 1080p resolutions, and works with HDCP-compliant devices. It also includes an IR remote control for switching between inputs. The Belkin HDMI 2-to-1 Video Switch has a suggested retail price of $49.99.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/826.html
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a decent little HDMI switch for the money.
stc4life

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno, why not just get a 4x1 switcher from monoprice? They are less and also have a remote.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying this is the case but, with some of the "less expensive" HDMI products out there you can run into HDCP handshake issues. Could also be the case with this piece. I use Key Digital for all my HDMI components and scalers.

I have several Belkin products (none video related) and they work great! Would be nice if this does too!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSRP of $49.99 and it shows $54.99 on their website. Interesting.
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
MSRP of $49.99 and it shows $54.99 on their website. Interesting.

The MSRP of $49.99 is quoted from the press release. I assumed that was the correct price.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stc4life wrote:
i dunno, why not just get a 4x1 switcher from monoprice? They are less and also have a remote.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=2721&seq=1&format=2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 2X1 from Monoprice for my Apple TV and had a ton of trouble with it. I sent it back and got a Rosewill 3x1 from Newegg for like $50. It has worked out well for me.
stc4life

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
stc4life wrote:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=2721&seq=1&format=2

I actually have this one and it works great. I don't have a mini run through it though.
zuzu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
I'm not saying this is the case but, with some of the "less expensive" HDMI products out there you can run into HDCP handshake issues.

All the more reason to get a Spatz switcher which will also remove HDCP from your HDMI signal so you don't have to worry about DRM problems.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i need a 2xdvi + 1xhdmi input to 1xdvi output, anyone know where to find that? Very Happy
for my:
comcast hd stb (dvi), mac mini (dvi), lg upconverting dvd player (hdmi)

LaCie 500GB Gigabit Ethernet Disk mini
Apple BT Keyboard/Mighty Mouse, iSight
Vizio 42" 1080p LCD HDTV
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuzu wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:
I'm not saying this is the case but, with some of the "less expensive" HDMI products out there you can run into HDCP handshake issues.

All the more reason to get a Spatz switcher which will also remove HDCP from your HDMI signal so you don't have to worry about DRM problems.

are you sure it "removes" it? HDMI REQUIRES HDCP handshakes to operate, if a component doesn't receive a handshake from the other device, it won't output anything... Their switchers may be like Key Digital's HDMI products where the switcher is the "end" component, It doesn't allow the other devices to see each other and it negotiates the proper handshakes to each component...

EDIT: I may be wrong on this, I'm doing more research now...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
zuzu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
are you sure it "removes" it? HDMI REQUIRES HDCP handshakes to operate, if a component doesn't receive a handshake from the other device, it won't output anything...

you're getting HDMI and HDCP confused. HDMI is just a newer physical interface for DVI video and "coaxial" digital audio combined. plenty of DVI&RCA-to-HDMI adapter cables have been on the market for years.

HDCP is the optional Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) cryptographic protocol atop the HDMI electronic standard. some source devices (e.g. stand-alone Blu-Ray or HD-DVD players) will refuse to output video above 480p in resolution (or optionally will insert a watermark) unless it receives a valid HDCP "handshake" from the display device (e.g. newer HDTVs).

the HDMI splitter I linked to has a chip in it also found in HDCP-compliant HDTV displays, so as far as the source device is aware it is a "valid" HDTV. what you do with an unencumbered signal from there is your own business. (the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD disc media DRM have already been compromised, so capturing the HDMI digital feed this way instead would be a rather asinine method of copying the data.)

personally I'm waiting until HandBrake adds Blu-Ray and HD-DVD ripping support before ever buying any Blu-Ray or HD-DVD media.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuzu wrote:
HDCP is the optional Digital Restrictions Management (DRM)

DRM stands for Digital Rights Management (though I think Restrictions is probably a more accurate description).
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuzu wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:
are you sure it "removes" it? HDMI REQUIRES HDCP handshakes to operate, if a component doesn't receive a handshake from the other device, it won't output anything...

you're getting HDMI and HDCP confused. HDMI is just a newer physical interface for DVI video and "coaxial" digital audio combined. plenty of DVI&RCA-to-HDMI adapter cables have been on the market for years.

HDCP is the optional Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) cryptographic protocol atop the HDMI electronic standard. some source devices (e.g. stand-alone Blu-Ray or HD-DVD players) will refuse to output video above 480p in resolution (or optionally will insert a watermark) unless it receives a valid HDCP "handshake" from the display device (e.g. newer HDTVs).

the HDMI splitter I linked to has a chip in it also found in HDCP-compliant HDTV displays, so as far as the source device is aware it is a "valid" HDTV. what you do with an unencumbered signal from there is your own business. (the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD disc media DRM have already been compromised, so capturing the HDMI digital feed this way instead would be a rather asinine method of copying the data.)

personally I'm waiting until HandBrake adds Blu-Ray and HD-DVD ripping support before ever buying any Blu-Ray or HD-DVD media.

correct you are sir! I was confusing HDCP for being the handshake, they are not one in the same. All HDMI devices look for a "handshake" from another compatible device. (there are DVI devices without the "handshake" these devices are not compatible with HDMI or DVI devices that require it) This whole "handshake" thing is rather confusing (err..was) I know people that have run into these issues before... the only solution is a Component video/Toslink/Digital Coax (any combo) connection...

This also explains why some of us have issues using the DVI to HDMI output to our TV's (where I've seen some post not getting any picture) No handshake, no picture...

How Stuff Works.com wrote:
HDMI Handshake Problems
One common problem people experience with HDMI is handshake failure. Sometimes, this is because the HDTV is an older, DVI-based model without HDCP support. But in other cases, there's an easy fix -- unplug your components and power cycle your system. This may reset the authentication cycle and restore your connection.

So much for new technology making things easier!! LOL Phew!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: