123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any tool for NTFS on Mac?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akeros

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Any tool for NTFS on Mac? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm using Panther as I'm on Mac mini and I've got a USB external hard disk and it is in NTFS as shared with my pc. I created a FAT32 partition for sharing between the Mac and the PC but I mainly work on my NTFS partition on the PC.

I've got files to transfer between the PC and the Mac from my NTFS partition. But sometime I don't some files when I connect the usb drive on the Mac.

I could copy the missing from my NTFS partition to my FAT32 exchange partition but that is an extra step to me and the files are big so no good. And using network is way to slow Sad

Any help?

Thanks!
aplowe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to read from an NTFS volume on your Mac, but not write to it.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75320
(at the bottom of the page in between the contradictions)

Apple have been working on this, many of the 10.3.x update readmes mention improved NTFS support. Hopefully tiger will be able to write to NTFS volumes and maybe even document such support clearly!

I can't remember what happens when panther finds multiple Windows volumes on the same disk. I'm pretty sure it only mounts one of them though - it may choose fat32 over ntfs and/or just have a crack at whichever appears first. Disk Utility may allow you to mount any partitions that don't automatically appear on the desktop; if not the only way is to play with mount_ntfs at a prompt which isn't a subject for this forum.
akeros

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the partitions, the mounting of 2 NTFS partitions plus 1 FAT32 is working fine from my USB HD.

My problem is that some files on the NTFS partition are not 'visible' on the mac. My work around for now is to use the FAT32 partition but I may see the 4Gb limit coming once I'll do some DV video processing.

Hopefully, Tiger will get full NTFS support.

Or maybe I should look for a tool on Windows to read/write on HPFS+ ? I can also consider reformatting my VIDEO partition to HPFS+...
aplowe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I didn't read your first post thoroughly.

PC disks and Mac disks use different partitioning schemes, I wouldn't advise putting Mac and PC partitions on the same disk.

You can certainly read Mac-formatted disks in Windows if you're willing to throw money at the problem. From the Windows end MacDrive looks good to me, but it's 50 bucks!

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/

Back in 2000 mediafour's Xplay certainly did the buisiness for my 1st gen iPod.

MacOpener is unknown to me, but it appears to be much the same thing.

http://www.dataviz.com/products/macopener/

For compatibility and speed, if you do choose to use a Mac-formatted video partition don't switch journaling on for it (select plain old 'Mac OS Extended' in Disk Utility).

Good luck,

Adam.
akeros

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, if MAC partitions and PC partition are incompatible, then I am a bit stuck here...

I was hoping to find a freeware for this purpose, but I guess we are not in the linux world!

I'll try to read more on mixed partitioning. There maybe some solution in forums somewhere behind google Smile

Thanks a lot anyway for the info. That gives me more clues on what I could do to go around my issue.

PS: it seems people can mix linux and os x partitions. Maybe there is a clue for me there Smile
aplowe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see how a mixed Mac HFS+ / NTFS disk could work in Windows, because the third-party drivers (MacDrive and MacOpener) have to read the (non-PC) partition information before they can mount a Mac disk. I assume that when the Microsoft driver fails to find it's partition map the third-party driver takes control of the whole disk.

Panther can mount all the partitions on such a mixed disk, but last time I played this game it involved a little tinkering.

In theory an ext2 (un-journaled linux) partition on the disk alongside the NTFS ones might do what you want.

This (free) beasty allows panther to read, write and repair ext2 partitions. I use it to share data between Macs and an athlon64 linux machine:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/

Similar Windows tools for reading linux partitions will likely have been written to cope with mixed linux/Windows disks (for dual-boot machines).

Have fun,

Adam.
akeros

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great info thanks. I still need to take some time to check the features of the ext2. I guess it has similar limits to HFS+ and NTFS.

I'll create a trial partition to see how stable the ext2 support via the free tools is. I don't mind losing video data if I still got it on tape but once processed I want to be able to burn it before I got a crash Smile

This is very usefull to me. Thanks again. I'll have to check this next week though..

EDIT:
I googled a bit. It seems the ext2 solution is not stable yet at least on the XP side. I think I'll stick with the NTFS and FAT32 for the moment. For big big files I'll see how I can split them properly. If only FAT32 was more powerfull!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: