123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VideoLAN Releases VLC 0.8.6d

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: VideoLAN Releases VLC 0.8.6d Reply with quote

VideoLAN Releases VLC 0.8.6d
Saturday, December 01, 2007
Posted by: Brian

The VideoLAN team has released VLC 0.8.6d. The new version of the popular media player improves compatibility with Mac OS X Leopard. This includes the following fixes and enhancements:

- Apple Remote support on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard with enhanced functionality
- Improved Video Output compatibility
- Improved behavior of the Fullscreen Controller and mode changes between Fullscreen and Windowed Video Output
- Softened the white flash artifacts that may appear during the transition of two different movies
- Support for current Ogg file formats
- Improved H.264 encoding

VLC 0.8.6d requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later. The download weighs in at 23.4MB.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/824.html
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: VideoLAN Releases VLC 0.8.6d Reply with quote

admin wrote:
- Improved behavior of the Fullscreen Controller and mode changes between Fullscreen and Windowed Video Output

I mentioned this wackiness the other week. I'm glad they fixed it.
castaway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still a little choppy at full-screen with my MacBook. The rest seems to be working fine.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the update royally screwed me!

1) Now when a movie is done, it remains in fullscreen and just black.

2) if I select "screen 2" and hit command "F" it goes full screen on whatever screen the mini window is on, not to the screen it is supposed to got to

I know it doesn't sound like much but, after using VLC for so long and it working like that, this just sucks.

Now I have to actually quit VLC to remove the Fullscreen window from my 2nd screen and I have to physically move the mini window to the second screen before going fullscreen...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:

Does it do this with all file types? Mine seems to be going back to the main menu just fine.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:

Does it do this with all file types? Mine seems to be going back to the main menu just fine.

about 98% of my videos are in .avi containers. I'll try some others but it's the .avi's that are most important. I'll also try crappin' the App and reinstalling it....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No joy! same issues with all container types, including streams from my HD PVR! I used AppDelete to remove it and re installed it as well, same outcome...

ANYONE! HELP!!!
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This actually feels like the most stable version of VLC that I've played around with in a while, so no complaints here.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome.

I have had no issues.
therealduckie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm..I cannot scan/fast-forward through FLV files. It stops the video. Anyone know a fix?

On another note--what the heck is the problem with the Nightlies archive? They haven't had an update since Nov 2nd.

No nightlies and yet a new release seems a bit...odd?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zuzu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therealduckie wrote:
Hmm..I cannot scan/fast-forward through FLV files. It stops the video. Anyone know a fix?

until you've "cached" the video (played through it, and only in that session), I don't think seeking in FLV files has ever worked.

Flash video has been a bane on the world wide web. sure, the quicktime/real/windowsmedia debate was really stupid, but once quicktime started using MPEG-4 and windows media player included MPEG-4 support, there was never any reason not to just use MPEG-4 for everything. now we have MPEG-4 wrapped in FLV which makes playback retarded-slow with terrible Flash-based interfaces. plus, Flash is proprietary. ugh.</rant>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuzu wrote:
until you've "cached" the video (played through it, and only in that session), I don't think seeking in FLV files has ever worked.

It works fine in the nightlies, hence my other question. That's reason #2 why I miss the updates to the nightlies...#1 being new features like the new full screen mode I have known about and been using since October. </snobbery>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: