123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CandyBar 3 Released

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: CandyBar 3 Released Reply with quote

CandyBar 3 Released
Tuesday, November 27, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

The Iconfactory and Panic today announced the release of CandyBar 3, a new version of their popular system icon customization application for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. According to the companies, "CandyBar 3 lets you easily and safely customize your Leopard system icons like the trash can, volumes, and even the infamous Leopard default folders, so your desktop will be uniquely yours." CandyBar 3 also now includes a full-featured icon organizer (formerly called Pixadex) that acts like an iPhoto for your icons.

Other new features include:

- Added large (512 x 512) icon support
- Leopard dock customization
- Additional system icons
- Quick Look integration
- More reliable system icon restoration, and much more

CandyBar 3 is priced at $29. Discount upgrade pricing is available for registered users of both CandyBar 2 and Pixadex 2. Additionally, users who purchased CandyBar 2 or Pixadex 2 on or after October 1st, 2007 qualify for a free, instant upgrade to CandyBar 3.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/821.html
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COOL! of course it's released today... I just manually changed my dock!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty sweet. I can't wait to give it a spin when I get home tonight.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool finally.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well tried it not bad.

But not great.

Candy bar still has the same issues with icons as leopard does.

If you have a icon file that was created in mac os x Tiger and go to view it inside leopard the icon appears blurry or blocky. Because of the new leopard icons being 512 x 512 and the older tiger icons being 128 x 128. If you view them by using cover flow you will notice the differrence really quick.

So untill someone figures out how to make a icon in 512 x 512 candybar doesn't do very well.
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting for this for weeks. The new interface and Pixadex integration are total sweetness. The only real thing that disappoints me is the upgrade price.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the new interface. It's pretty slick. The new Dock stuff is cool as well.
iLife's a Bitch!
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:

If you have a icon file that was created in mac os x Tiger and go to view it inside leopard the icon appears blurry or blocky. Because of the new leopard icons being 512 x 512 and the older tiger icons being 128 x 128. If you view them by using cover flow you will notice the differrence really quick.

So untill someone figures out how to make a icon in 512 x 512 candybar doesn't do very well.

That's a problem with those applications, not a problem with Leopard or CandyBar. The icons are embedded in the application file(s), so if it's only 128x128, there's not much we can do about it, except maybe ask/wait until the programs are updated with a 512x512 icon.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything that can help you easily change those bland looking system icons (that are hard to tell apart) is good enough for me. Smile
imfullofit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
Well tried it not bad.

But not great.

Because of the new leopard icons being 512 x 512 and the older tiger icons being 128 x 128. If you view them by using cover flow you will notice the differrence really quick.

Can't you get cool icons from KDE.org or somewhere? I think I saw an OS X theme there before.

www.julianvandercook.com
jthawke

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Need new containers . . . Reply with quote

I've used Candybar for years and was disappointed to learn that it wasn't Leopard compatible. I was very excited when version 3 was released. I downloaded it, tried it, and then deleted it.

The big problem is that there aren't any cohesive themes that cover all of the possible changes that exist in Leopard. Too many new icons, etc. and not enough options from IconFactory.

It's fine if you just want to change your trashcan or a few folders, but I want a more balanced look. While I don't like all of Leopard's icons, at least they are consistent. Maybe if some more TOTAL system containers are released, I'll look at it again.

A shame . . . I was more than willing to pay for the upgrade.
Mifuyne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
Well tried it not bad.

But not great.

There is a way, but it would require you to remake the icons at 512 x 512. Xcode (the installer is in your Mac OS X Leopard install DVD or downloadable at Developer.Apple.Com) has a tool called Icon Composer. As far as I can tell, it can compile an icns file for icon size up to 512 x 512 (read about it here).

Unless you have a program that can resample at a larger size very well, you're pretty much stuck recreating them from scratch at 512 x 512.

I hope this helps Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: