123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sonnet Intros Aria Extreme-n 802.11n Wireless Card
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zuzu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrb599 wrote:
Are there other kind of wireless n cards we can put in our mini's? Made for the mini? Or did you put something else in your macbook?

Check the upgrade forum, but I posted a write-up with all the information I used to add a Dell 1500 mini-PCIe Draft 802.11n (using the same Atheros chip as the MacPro card from Apple) -- which built upon information posted by others here (thanks!) before -- into a Core Duo MacMini, and running the appropriate software updates to enable support for it.

The Dell card was ~$50 on eBay and the secondary antenna was ~$15.

So my question: is this finally a high-power card, such as the 400mW Senao or 600mW Ubiquiti mini-PCI cards? or is this just a more expensive alternative to a known working solution?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
I thought you needed at least two antennas for 802.11n. I need to look into this more. The price is decent though. They beat QuickerTek by $50 bucks. But then again, they include a big external tri-band antenna.

$130 is gouging the naive. the exact same card can be had for $40 on eBay.

Atheros AR5008 Toshiba Mini PCI-E Wireless Card

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Has anyone tried it? Reply with quote

Has any one tried the Sonnet Aria card in the Mac Mini yet? I just ordered one from Provantage for about $95, since there were none on Ebay. I'll post how it works once I get it and install it.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Works Great Reply with quote

The Sonnet Aria card actually works great with the Mini, and wasn't so hard to install. The increase in speed is really noticeable, just be sure to install the Wireless-N upgrade that Apple sells for under $2, it also ships free with your AirPort Extreme router. Normally wireless-N seems to use 2-3 antenna's, but the Mini only has 1, yet it still gives some good performance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: