123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RAM issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rca420

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: RAM issue Reply with quote

Hi there! I just installed a stick of 1gb of PQI Power RAM, which was purchased from New Egg. My issue is that Tiger 10.4.2 still recognizes it as 512MB and that the Apple chime doesn't chime anymore whenever I turn the machine on. Is there something I have to do to have my Mini recognize it? It's a 1.42ghz machine version B. Thanks in advance! Please help! Smile
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: RAM issue Reply with quote

rca420 wrote:
Hi there! I just installed a stick of 1gb of PQI Power RAM, which was purchased from New Egg. My issue is that Tiger 10.4.2 still recognizes it as 512MB and that the Apple chime doesn't chime anymore whenever I turn the machine on. Is there something I have to do to have my Mini recognize it? It's a 1.42ghz machine version B. Thanks in advance! Please help! Smile

What is the model number of the RAM? The system should recognize it without you doing anything.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide

Last edited by homerjatmoes on Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rca420

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The model # is MD441GUOE
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have bad RAM probably if you are positive that that is actually a gig stick. The model number you gave us applies to sticks with more than one capacity, so I couldn't determine it just from the model number. The reason I say it's bad RAM because it should be a gig stick, but it isn't using all the of the memory on it and because now your computer is acting funny. I would return it or take it to someone who can test it for you.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
rca420

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a gig stick because the sticker on the ram says that it's a 1gig. How do I return it to new egg? I've already opened it. Sad What should I do now?
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the right RAM module but it is bad.

Same problem here:
http://macminiforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=694#post694

I have the same module part number in my mini wich was purchased from Newegg. Unfortunatly you will have to RMA it back to Newegg.com. I love the savings of Newegg and fortunatly never had a problem with anything, yet. The drawback of ordering online is returning.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rca420 wrote:
It is a gig stick because the sticker on the ram says that it's a 1gig. How do I return it to new egg? I've already opened it. Sad What should I do now?

Sign in to Newegg.com and go to your account. Select the Order Info tab and select Return Item (RMA) Select your order and click replace or refund.

Newegg is good about returns from what I hear.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
e3mw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rca420 wrote:

Even after opening shipments and products, Newegg offers I think 14 Days of RMA protection, just hit up their customer service and ask for an RMA on your memory.
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rca420

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I appreciate your inputs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: