123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AirPort Amnesia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnthroPC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: AirPort Amnesia Reply with quote

Hi everybody, I've just come up against a problem and run the computer through it a couple of times with the same result.

I can put my Mini to sleep, wake it up and everything works fine... except its forgotten which wireless network its on.

I mean okay, this is easily sorted by just clicking on the menubar and getting my HomeHub back, but shouldn't it be automated?

Thanks

>> WEBSITE! <<>> TOONS! <<
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have recently had this exact problem. Any thoughts?
Busta123

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup

Just moved my Mini to my wife and put it on WiFi.

Every night goes to sleep, every morning on waking up 'lost' WiFi connection.

The Router is set to hide the SSID and is using WPA Personal encryption, is that relevant?

I'll try some tests when I get back from my trip and try to lock down where the issue is.
MacMini Intel * 2x20" InteliMacs * 2xMBPs 13" * 1TB TC * 8GB iPhone * 16GB iPhone 3G * 30GB iPod Video * 2GB Nano (NetPlayers /Sounbridges /Win7 / 4TB NasLite / 4TB FreeNAS / 4 TB Thecus 4100+/ 4 TB DAS)
DoLoop

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. My network is set up to hide SSID, use WPA and allow only specific MAC addresses. All other computers on the network are fine, including an iBook G4 and 2 PC's. Also, I can take the iBook to within inches of the Mini during an "outage" and have full signal. The Mini will not reconnect until I turn off the Mini's WiFi and turn it back on again. That doesn't always work, so I then log out and back in. That doesn't always work either, and I have to reset the WAP. I'd love for someone to shed some light on this. Apple has been no help.

DoLoop
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have run into this problem. I wish I had a cure. My machine/s haven't done this in a while though. It just seemed to stop doing it. When it was though, it did it consistently...

I know it's not much help but, it may just clear itself up...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think there would be preference file some where that a good trashing and rebuilding would fix this problem. It seems to be a common "illness".
Busta123

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

So a brute force and ignorance solved this problem...

I put a Netgear WiFi bridge into the room so I can run the Mac Mini off that.

Disappointing though, but resolved.
MacMini Intel * 2x20" InteliMacs * 2xMBPs 13" * 1TB TC * 8GB iPhone * 16GB iPhone 3G * 30GB iPod Video * 2GB Nano (NetPlayers /Sounbridges /Win7 / 4TB NasLite / 4TB FreeNAS / 4 TB Thecus 4100+/ 4 TB DAS)
Austinsnyc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds more like a OS X issue the people that have this issue should all start comaplaining to Apple and see if they will release a fix for it! I alway use a wired connection simply for more speed and less headaches! thanks for the heads up though!
UpTheIrons

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This appears to be common with Leopard and there are several threads about it on the Apple boards. It appears to be the load order of the network stack, I resolved it by turning on SSID broadcast. Since then it works like a champ, with the broadcast off it was failing 9 wake ups out of 10. You can also right click and turn Airport off, but that gets tedious pretty quick. Several folks over at Apple forums have submitted feedback and a couple members of the Apple Developer Network filed official bug reports. I suspect this will be resolved in a reasonably short time frame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: