123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RealPlayer 11 Beta for Mac Released

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: RealPlayer 11 Beta for Mac Released Reply with quote

RealPlayer 11 Beta for Mac Released
Thursday, November 15, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

RealNetworks today announced the release of the RealPlayer 11 Beta for Mac OS X. The new beta allows users to download non-DRM protected Flash videos in Safari or Firefox from thousands of sites for playback online or offline. It also includes a number of other new features and changes. This includes the following:

- Playback of Flash videos
- Windows Media content (such as .wmv and .wma files) can now be played
- PerfectPlay (with LivePause) feature added
- PlayNow feature added
- Dock and plug-in menu volume items now specify 25% increments
- Dock icon shows playback position
- Favorites window search box
- Favorites menu sorted when Option key down
- Favorites window column sizes remembered
- Icons shown for favorites and recent items
- Clip Info window has "Show File" button for local files
- Clip Info window displays four-character codec identifiers
- Find enabled for license agreement and release notes window.
- Transport preferences sheet now has http-only button
- Media types tracked by Uniform Type Identifier groups
- Default application set and controlled in Media Types preferences (10.4 required)
- Minor auto-update improvements
- Minor subscription sign-in improvements
- QuickTime playback supports frame advance/reverse with left/right arrow keys
- QuickTime support uses QTKit on 10.4
- Automatic Bandwidth Detection support for some streams
- Internet Connection (Bandwidth) Test

The RealPlayer 11 Beta weighs in at 6.98MB and requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later. The final version should be ready in the first half of 2008.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/812.html
mojofrojo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who the heck uses real player anymore? I honestly can think of a site that I was upset by not being able to D/L a vid because it was encoded in realplayer format.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
castaway

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it for the BBC widget, but that's about it.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojofrojo wrote:
Who the heck uses real player anymore?

I don't much but, I do have several movies in the .rmvb format. I do wish they would make an encoder for Macs. I love the quality vs. file size. Most of my .rmvb's are about 300-400Mb and look as good as my .avi's that are 1.5Gb!!!

Oh, well. You can't have everything!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCGuy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real Player is alive? Amazing Smile
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have to fill in the form that asks you where you live, how old your dog is and how often you use the lavatory, before you're allowed to download it?
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not big fan of the RealPlayer in general, but my wife uses that Flash download thingy on her Dell (don't ask) all the time. I don't know how it works on the Mac side (haven't downloaded it yet), but it's actually quite handy for the non-techie.
fuji257

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhapsody is what millions of people are looking for.

Everyone (PC people) says they don't understand why iTunes/iPod is "so great" . . .

Everyone else (Mac people) go to explain why the its the combination of the two that make it unbeatable and that Zune, Zen, etc. etc. will never "get it".

Real "gets it" and Rhapsody rocks. Rhapsody mp3 players are set to take on iPod/iTunes but no one seems to notice.

Real needs to:

Make the Windows versions less like CRAPWARE and not be so intrusive (like the Mac version)

Make the Mac version a little more seamless (like the Windows version) and clear up the plethora of UI glitches.

Then spend a dollar or two advertising so the world knows that they are not dead.

If you've not used REAL in a while or have never used it on Mac; you should at least check it out. It's got a few issues, but its good software and not as crappy as the "All your PC belong to us" Windows version.
zuzu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojofrojo wrote:
Who the heck uses real player anymore? I honestly can think of a site that I was upset by not being able to D/L a vid because it was encoded in realplayer format.

I'm chronically astounded by how many sites still use Real (e.g. most of NPR), and equally astounded by how resistant sites have been to implement the defacto standard of MP3 instead.

Can anyone recommend a QuickTime component that will decode Real formats, instead of having to install Real's malware player???

WMV has Flip4Mac, Ogg/FLAC has XiphQT, Xvid/Matroska has Perian. and of course VideoLAN plays nearly everything. but Real is the one thorn in my side.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuzu wrote:
mojofrojo wrote:

I'm chronically astounded by how many sites still use Real (e.g. most of NPR), and equally astounded by how resistant sites have been to implement the defacto standard of MP3 instead.

Can anyone recommend a QuickTime component that will decode Real formats, instead of having to install Real's malware player???

WMV has Flip4Mac, Ogg/FLAC has XiphQT, Xvid/Matroska has Perian. and of course VideoLAN plays nearly everything. but Real is the one thorn in my side.

...and unfortunately it will remain a thorn... still no plug-ins, no codecs, nothing! Unless I've been under a rock, I don't know of any... and I love .RMVB files...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: