123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.5.1 Update
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.5.1 Update Reply with quote

Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.5.1 Update
Thursday, November 15, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

Apple has released the Mac OS X 10.5.1 Update via Mac OS X's Software Update utility and on the Web. According to the company, this update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Leopard and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac.

The following improvements for both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs are included in this update:

AirPort
- Allows password-protected accounts on AirPort Disks to show up on in the Finder's Shared Sidebar.
- Resolves an issue with saved passwords for wireless networks.

Back to My Mac
- Improves the reliability of Back to My Mac-enabled Macs appearing in the Finder's Shared Sidebar.
- Improves compatibility with D-Link NAT gateways.

Disk utilities
- Restores the functionality of the progress bar during permission repairs in Disk Utility.
- Addresses an issue that could produce an alert when creating disk images using Disk Utility or Terminal.
- Improves disk partitioning when multiple RAID sets are created on the same disk.

iCal
- iCal alarms are now more reliably delivered via email.
- Resolves an issue when inviting attendees via a CalDAV account.

Mail
- Improves stability when resizing columns in the message viewer or switching between Stationery templates in email messages.
- Addresses an issue in which attachments enclosed inside an HTML link may not be clickable in email messages.
- Fixes an issue with email accounts added using the "Simple Setup" feature in which messages cannot be sent due to an SMTP connection failure.
- Improves Smart Mailboxes compatibility with .Mac Sync, and addresses an issue with To Do's disappearing when using Smart Mailboxes.
- Resolves an issue with syncing Mail accounts with .Mac in which multiple On My Mac folders appear in the Mailbox pane.

Networking
- Addresses an issue in which Microsoft Windows shared folders may be read-only when connected via SMB.

Printing
- Resolves an issue in which user-selected values on Paper Feed PDE are reset to default while saving a custom preset.

Security, Firewall
- Addresses a code signing issue; third-party applications can now run when included in the Application Firewall or when whitelisted in Parental Controls.
- In Security preferences' Firewall tab, the "Block All" option is now called "Allow Only essential services"
- Includes recent Apple security updates.

System and Finder
- Addresses a potential data loss issue when moving files across partitions in the Finder.
- Resolves an issue with login after turning off FileVault for a specific user account.
- Improves compatibility with Adobe Flash-based uploaders used by .Mac Web Gallery and certain other websites and applications.
- Resolves a potential text drawing issue with certain Adobe Flash-based websites and applications.

Time Machine
- Addresses formatting issues with certain drives used with Time Machine (specifically, single-partition MBR drives greater than 512 GB in size as well as NTFS drives of any size and partition scheme).
- Resolves an issue in which files restored in Time Machine may be restored to the backup hierarchy rather than the folders to which they belong.

The Mac OS X 10.5.1 Update weighs in at 110MB.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/813.html
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can repair my permissions again, but it still goes really slow.

Last edited by Weee on Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a feeling this would be coming out today with 10.4.11 dropping last night. I haven't noticed any real changes yet, but it installed without any trouble.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems here. The update took a while to finish though. It sat on "Running Installer Script" for a couple of minutes. I started to worry that it was going to stall, but it finished up on its own. Thank god! I needed a problem like a hole in the head.
castaway

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a few stutters here and there with my G4 Mac mini and MacBook. I guess that is to be expected though. I'm beginning to think about rolling back to Tiger on the Mac mini, which is my primary machine. There is a lot that I like about Leopard, but it just doesn't feel as stable as Tiger. I think Tiger was much better at the .1 mark.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to get home in another hour or so. I'll start with one of my Macs and take it from there. I'm in no hurry to apply 10.5.1 across the board. 10.5 has actually been pretty good to me.
iLife's a Bitch!
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that Apple STRONGLY recommends backing up the Mac before installing the update. Always good advice, but they seem to be emphasizing it here, whether or not that's significant is hard to say. (Ditto for 10.4.11.)

Doug

Last edited by Doug Eldred on Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
iBling

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My C2D Mac mini and CD MacBook definitely feel slower after installing 10.5.1. Mail, Safari and iTunes all load slower. Way more bouncy bounces in the Dock before they open. Maybe a restart or permission repair will help. Sad
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Eldred wrote:
Note that Apple STRONGLY recommends backing up the Mac before installing the update. Always good advice, but they seem to be emphasizing it here, whether or not that's significant is hard to say. (Ditto for 10.4.11.)

Doug

Yeah, that's always good advice to give. I've been burnt on more than one occasion. That being said, Time Machine should have my back going forward. I also tend to give updates more time to settle now.
iLife's a Bitch!
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, some users are reporting that the 110 MB combo update has fewer issues than the ~39 MB delta update.

Doug
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed the 10.5.1 update and it seems to be working rather well. I thought one of my 1gb sticks of ram had packed up but after installing this update all seems well i know have 2gb again. It seems strange this would be a software problem :S
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily. Past updates HAVE disabled RAM that was out of spec in some way.

Doug
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Eldred wrote:
Not necessarily. Past updates HAVE disabled RAM that was out of spec in some way.

Doug

I bought my ram directly from crucial to make sure it was compatible with my MacBook so I doubt its not to the required specs.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No real differences either way here. I guess the big fixes here are for the Finder data loss issue, Time Machine and AirPort. The "Restores the functionality of the progress bar during permission repairs in Disk Utility" didn't fix that one for me. Mine just goes over like 10-20% and sits there until it finishes. And it still takes a long time to complete. The rest is pretty minor. So when is 10.5.2 coming? Wink
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booooo This sucks.

Preview still crashes.

The os is stable but has issues loading.

I thought this would fix leopard not make it worse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: