123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMD Intros ATI TV Wonder 650 Combo USB for Mac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: AMD Intros ATI TV Wonder 650 Combo USB for Mac Reply with quote

AMD Intros ATI TV Wonder 650 Combo USB for Mac
Wednesday, November 14, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

AMD today announced its new ATI TV Wonder 650 Combo USB for Mac. The device integrates two built-in TV tuners to receive off-the-air ATSC/HDTV broadcasts as well as analog television programming. According to the company, "The ATI TV Wonder 650 Combo USB for Mac transforms Mac desktops and notebooks alike into ultimate TV entertainment systems, with full personal video recorder functionality. With the included ATI tvPORTAL TV application for Mac, users can watch, pause, or record high definition TV. Even analog TV is made brilliant on the Mac as the ATI TV Wonder 650 Combo USB for Mac produces sharp, true-to-life analog TV images. With full-featured Electronic Programming Guide in ATI tvPORTAL, users can schedule and manage TV recordings with ease." The ATI TV Wonder 650 Combo USB for Mac is scheduled to be available later this month for $149.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/808.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWWWEEEETTTT! Now I have something else to buy and try out!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Interresting Reply with quote

I thought that all tv wonder products only function with a Ati graphics cards.

Man i hope not this looks awesome.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a nice piece of hardware at a decent price. I just question the software. As far as I'm concerned, it's hard to get much better than Elgato on that turf. But then again, Elgato could be doing a little better with their pricing.
iLife's a Bitch!
barnz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
It looks like a nice piece of hardware at a decent price. I just question the software. As far as I'm concerned, it's hard to get much better than Elgato on that turf. But then again, Elgato could be doing a little better with their pricing.

Perhaps Elgato will feel the pinch and reduce the HDHomeRun price to be more competitive?

At the moment this new piece is $50 (25%) cheaper, and includes analog tuning, which the HDHomeRun does not. HDHomeRun on the other hand operates as a network device, which could be a $50 feature for some people. I think you're right that a lot of this would come down to the software/interface differences for me.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could also take some styling ques from Elgato. The pictures might not do it justice, but it sort of looks like the dehumidifier in my bathroom. That being said, it should stay nice and cool with all of that ventilation.
Survivor61

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: What one? Reply with quote

Another one for me to look into LOL. I am mainly looking to be able to copy some old VHS tapes to the mac and import to iMovie. The added TV bonus is nice but not necessarily a must since I have a TiVo system already. So far I have looked at the EyETV, the new Pinnicle, and now this. Anyone have any recommendations?

Steve
zuzu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnz wrote:
At the moment this new piece is $50 (25%) cheaper, and includes analog tuning, which the HDHomeRun does not. HDHomeRun on the other hand operates as a network device, which could be a $50 feature for some people. I think you're right that a lot of this would come down to the software/interface differences for me.

The HDHR is actually manufactured by SiliconDust and can be purchased from the 9th Tee or on eBay for ~$170 new or ~$100-150 used. The $30 price difference from Elgato is for licensing of their EyeTV software included in the bundle. If you already own a retail copy of EyeTV, you don't need to buy it again.

The HDHR also supports Clear QAM, which is important for anyone using cable or fibre instead of OTA for their HDTV feed.

The HDHR MPEG-2 TS to UDP (i.e. IPTV) packet transformation is an uber elegant solution, and thus provides HDTV to any computer on the network.

It was also the first dual-tuner device, which is a must have if you need to watch and record two different shows at the same time.

It does lack ADC (analog capture), but the "analog hole" is really a last-ditch effort if you can't get the Virtual DVHS app to work with your CableCo DVR and/or aren't satisfied with only non-DRM'd content (plus, say, BitTorrent or DVD releases) from your provider.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: alternative software Reply with quote

i have this tuner but find the software unusable. does anyone know if this will work with any other software on the mac
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: