123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FileMaker previews Bento personal database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: FileMaker previews Bento personal database Reply with quote

FileMaker previews Bento personal database
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

FileMaker has begun a public preview of Bento, a new personal database designed specifically for Mac OS X v.10.5 Leopard. Bento is designed to help Mac users organize their lives by giving them one place to put their important information, from contacts and calendars to projects and events. Bento can organize activities related to work, home, school and community. It also automatically displays contacts and calendars kept within Address Book and iCal. There is no need to re-enter existing names, phone numbers, email addresses and upcoming events into Bento so users can start organizing and extending to their information right away.

"Bento is the personal database for the millions of Mac users who appreciate the elegance and ease of use of their Mac," said FileMaker president Dominique Goupil. "With Bento, we are providing an incredibly easy way to manage all your information -- iCal calendar events, Address Book contacts, digital media and files -- all in one place, effortlessly."

You can download the Bento preview here. It weighs in at 27.2MB. Bento will cost $49 when the final version ships in January 2008. A family pack will be available for $99.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/807.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks the "Leopard only" age has arrived. Laughing
joecarst

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how this will compare with the Appleworks database? My dad uses Appleworks for his small business and is looking to move to something else. He doesn't need a full-fledged database like FileMaker or mySQL, but something more than a spreadsheet.

If anyone else tries this let me know if you think it will work for a small business doing simple inventory tracking. I plan on trying it also, but the more the merrier.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad needs work.

Kinda buggy still but not bad.
heavy_nutz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im downloading it right now it looks interesting
Top 25 Poster
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much need for a personal database, but this is like the missing piece to iWork '08. Plus, these guys really know how to make software for the Mac. It's like they have insider info. Wink

I'm off to download.
Zoddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Bento box Reply with quote

FYI: in Japanese, Bento is referred to as lunch, as in a lunch box. Notice how the logo looks like a plate you order at a japanese restaurant. Rice in one section, tempura in another.... i'm getting hungry. Smile
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using SOHO Organizer to help me stay organized. I think this app has potential, but it will take more for me to switch. It's definitely off to a nice start though.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: