123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best wireless router for mac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macdave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Best wireless router for mac Reply with quote

Ok i,m thinking about buying a macbook soon so it would be nice to have wireless web.

I've heard of people complaining about the reliability and price of apple routers.

I'm looking at the Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G at the moment, has a good price. The main thing really is that i want ease of configuration and good speeds/ reliability.

I also have a mini on the same connection so i want to leave that wired.

I'm wondering what wireless routers are other mac users using?
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Belkin F5D7230-4 and an Airport Express. They're working together with WDS, the Belkin as the main and the Express as the repeater.

I don't have any complaints really. Both do what they should, and I rarely have any issues.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airport Express here. No issues, none, nada. Print wirelessly from 6 machines - 5 Macs and 1 Windoz box. Been using for almost 2yrs...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Best wireless router for mac Reply with quote

macdave wrote:
Ok i,m thinking about buying a macbook soon so it would be nice to have wireless web.

I've heard of people complaining about the reliability and price of apple routers.

I'm looking at the Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G at the moment, has a good price. The main thing really is that i want ease of configuration and good speeds/ reliability.

I also have a mini on the same connection so i want to leave that wired.

I'm wondering what wireless routers are other mac users using?

Do not get a Linksys router ever there are not good at all. I have had trouble with at least 3 of them. But i would definitely recommend the belkin very good, ease of use is pretty good and it is very reliable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i've been checking out the belkin and it looks good at only €40 here in europe. Like i say its just for a macbook so i didnt want anything expensive. See you can set up a printer too.

Do you find the speed good?. g is the latest right.
Jrb599

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macdave wrote:
ok i've been checking out the belkin and it looks good at only €40 here in europe. Like i say its just for a macbook so i didnt want anything expensive. See you can set up a printer too.

Do you find the speed good?. g is the latest right.

n is
macdave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i see n is 300mb and g is 54mb. but does this only matter is your networking you computers and sharing large files.

im sure theres a drop in connection speed between router and computer but would it be that bad as to really afffect web browsing.

Ya i havnt to a clue about all this wireless stuff
Jrb599

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G is what you want since your computer most likely has a G card in it.

And I've had Linksys along with everyone else I know and they're great. Much better than D-Link or Netgear, that's for sure.
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrb599 wrote:
G is what you want since your computer most likely has a G card in it.

And I've had Linksys along with everyone else I know and they're great. Much better than D-Link or Netgear, that's for sure.

Linksys is definetly the worst, I still am going to say to get a belkin. I bought my linksys about 3 years ago and they are still the same crap and the same price today. Belkin was cheaper and a far better product.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good luck with most of my WRT54G variety linksys routers. You can flash some models with a Linux based firmware giving you better control of the device.

I find d-link to be the worst, netgear works well. But it's basically universal that people like the Apple based routers. Should my d-link router ever die I'll replace it with an Airport from Apple.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: