123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LaCie Unveils Drive for Mac Mini [Updated]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would only have to use isolating material in a couple of locations. Imagine an engine with rubber motor mounts.
That would not create any sort of heat issue. Unless direct metal to metal contact is needed for heat transfer.

Why is it that a 3 1/2" drive is so much louder than a 2 1/2" drive?
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

Why is it that a 3 1/2" drive is so much louder than a 2 1/2" drive?

The speed and size of the moving parts. I was thinking about some foam like this:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article137-page1.html
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about equal drive speeds 2.5 vs. 3.5"?
Why does bigger = louder? You would think they would have more room to control drive noise.

Why are some drives louder than others...all specs being equal?

(This could be a thread of it's own. However, I don't feel too bad this thread is already 9 pages long.)
resuna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Why are some drives louder than others...all specs being equal?

All specs aren't equal. The drives are not just different sizes, they're designed from the ground up to behave differently. The 2.5" drives are designed to run at low power and low noise in a laptop, so they also run at a lower speed with smaller and weaker motors and actuators. Which leads to lower performance.

As in everything else: performance means heat...
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
As in everything else: performance means heat...

Well, usually. In the case of hard drives, only when the increased performance comes in terms of rpm gains and not areal density gains or the reducing of latency due to performance overhead.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lacie Guys,

What's going on with shipping from Apple? I ordered one last week with the promise of it shipping by July 31. I then get an email today saying they couldn't make the promised ship date and instead it will now ship by July 31, 2006. Yes, 2006.

I called Apple and the CSR said that was likely an error (Smile) but that he couldn't get me a more accurate ship timeframe. At the time, the online store was down - he said when it came back up it should have good ship times.

Well, it's back up now, and it's saying that they'll ship in July (no year specified Wink). WHat's going on with these? I really need to get one by Friday when I head out of town...

TM
M2inOR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TM,

I really don't know what may be going on...we ship to Apple, and they maintain their own inventory and order processing. LaCie has nothing to do with that, other than supplying Apple.

Apple uses this inventory to stock their stores, as well as fulfill their many variations of online stores. We have no visibility of how Apple are allocating the product that is sent to them.

You may be able to find the product available at other resellers or even at the LaCie online store. But note well, the product is quite popular, and selling well. INventory changes daily.
We live in interesting times
------------------------------------
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I noticed your store is not shipping immediately, but I'll check around.

Thanks!
TM
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthonymoody wrote:

they (Apple) couldn't make the promised ship date and instead it will now ship by July 31, 2006. Yes, 2006.

Better to under-promise and over-deliver Smile
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
anthonymoody wrote:

they (Apple) couldn't make the promised ship date and instead it will now ship by July 31, 2006. Yes, 2006.

Better to under-promise and over-deliver Smile

Very Happy

I poked around all the stores linked to from Lacie's site and could find no one with it in stock (Well, 1 Amazon merchant claims to have one but they have several complaints against them for advertising out of stock items as being in stock!)

If anyone can point me to a place that has the 160gig version in stock right now please do!! Feel free to email me at anthonymoody@hotmail.com

Thanks,
TM
Macsince84

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Look Ma No Ports! Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
devo wrote:
They thought about cooling! Cool

This's what I'm most excited about. I don't like the front logo much though.

I can't tell from the 123macmini review, but is it a hub also? It doesn't sound like it is, just that it comes in two versions that connect through either FireWire or USB2.0.

I think they missed it by not offering the hub features as ministack and others have. Lacie has the best design I think and their products have been rock solid for me. Maybe if they get enough feed back they will offer it in a future version. Idea I think most users are going to need the extra ports.

--------------
Top of the line mini; soon to be shipped Smile
M2inOR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Some thoughts on built-in hubs Reply with quote

Several people wonder why LaCie did not include a hub:

- lower cost without a hub
- existing hub implementations have hard-to-access connections

The latter point is not really apparant until you actually try to use the extra ports built in to the other units on the market. There really is not that much room on the back panel, so easy connect/disconnect is not practical on the rear.

This cries out for easy-to-access front panel ports, for easy connection to peripherals you will want to connect/disconnect on a daily basis like digital cameras, camcorders, and iPods.

So, the LaCie mini drive does have a FireWire port for daisy chaining another device on the rear, we make a half-step in the right direction. No limitation there.

We feel it best to add a separate dedicated hub device for the few people who need more convenient expansion.
We live in interesting times
------------------------------------
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on built-in hubs Reply with quote

M2inOR wrote:
Several people wonder why LaCie did not include a hub:

- lower cost without a hub
- existing hub implementations have hard-to-access connections

The latter point is not really apparant until you actually try to use the extra ports built in to the other units on the market. There really is not that much room on the back panel, so easy connect/disconnect is not practical on the rear.

This cries out for easy-to-access front panel ports, for easy connection to peripherals you will want to connect/disconnect on a daily basis like digital cameras, camcorders, and iPods.

So, the LaCie mini drive does have a FireWire port for daisy chaining another device on the rear, we make a half-step in the right direction. No limitation there.

We feel it best to add a separate dedicated hub device for the few people who need more convenient expansion.

I passed on the LaCie because it doesn't have ports. Front ports would've been cool! One USB and one Firewire. Enough to do the things you mentioned - "digital cameras, camcorders, and iPods"
iLife's a Bitch!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on built-in hubs Reply with quote

M2inOR wrote:

Ok... so give us front ports! Wink
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No front ports for me please. I like the drive just the way it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: