123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would I be crazy for buying a 30GB Zune?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Would I be crazy for buying a 30GB Zune? Reply with quote

As some of you may know, my 60GB 5G iPod died on me not that long ago. So I've been looking around at a couple of players. I've pretty much decided on getting an iPhone once they get bumped to at least 16GB, but I'm growing tired of waiting around. I really need something to bring to work with me. I work at different job sites every day doing security installations, so this helps me pass the day. Having one with a built-in FM tuner would be nice as well. I could listen to local news and what not. So this leads me to the original 30GB Zune. I noticed that Amazon has the black model on sale for $139 smackers. The brown one is actually on sale for $129, but everyone has their limits. Laughing

I've never really had the chance to play around with the Zune. Just for a short time at Best Buy when they first came out. I know MS is coming out with new Zunes in a couple of days, but it's all about the reduced price. I would need to reinstall Windows on my mini with Boot Camp or Fusion, but that isn't a big deal.

I know MS is coming out with a firmware update that will bring the original Zunes up to date with new models coming out, but I'm not sure what that all includes. Does anyone here know?

Also, am I nuts for considering this? What other new player is going to give me 30GB of storage, a built-in tuner, and 3" screen for $139?
AnthroPC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm a refurb 30GB G5 iPod plus a radio tuner wouldn't be all that much anymore considering the classic is now the center of attention as far as the typical iPod is concerned.

Also, A Microsft Zune!?! Are you crazy!?!

And before you accuse me of being generally anti-Borg, I have actually had a go on the Zune, and it has its good points and down points. It still doesn't come anywhere near an iPod for style, music quality, nor minimalist GUI (Come on Microsoft, even Sony, whom I hate with a passion, managed this).

So yeah, go sniff out a refurb/second hand iPod Video, there'll be a few around still. Go looking in your local gizmo stores. Here in the UK, places like Argos, Currys andPC World are still selling off G5 iPods, G2 Nanos and G1 shuffles. Our local Argos still has eleven iPod Minis!

>> WEBSITE! <<>> TOONS! <<
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new 3G nano would be next on my list. A refurbished 30GB 5G is currently selling for $199 + tax here in the states. The radio remote would be another $50. So that is over a $100 difference. I was just doing a little research here about the Zune update coming out. It will include all the video codecs (MPEG4 and H.264), so that isn't an issue either. Plus, it's just something new to play around with. I will also save some money in the process to use towards the new iPhone.

Going another 2 months without music (assuming Apple updates the iPhone at Macworld 2008) is way too long for me. Decisions, decisions...
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also have to think on which one will work best with the computer that has all your music.

I have a new black Nano. Wouldn't trade it for anything but an iPod Touch. It was a gift for my birthday, which was just before the shipping of the Touch.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Also have to think on which one will work best with the computer that has all your music.

I have a new black Nano. Wouldn't trade it for anything but an iPod Touch. It was a gift for my birthday, which was just before the shipping of the Touch.

True, but I'm about ready to upgrade hard drives again. I'll have plenty of room for a small Windows partition with 250GB. This 120GB drive is going in the old PS3, which now holds the original 80GB drive that came with my mini. Although, come to think of it, I wouldn't mini having a 250GB in the PS3. Maybe I have the order of progression wrong here. Laughing
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devo, seriously...don't throw your money away.

A Zune should be your last choice; most especially when you consider how locked down it is.

Quite frankly, I'd only purchase a Zune, if I knew for sure that I could install Linux on it.

But given MS's ultra closed shop mentality along wih the difficulties the Linux community have been facing..this seems but a distant dream.

Perhaps a Creative Zen might be a better choice ?

Cheers

Aquafire

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Aquafire, buy a Creative piece or even the Nano like you suggested. The success of the iPod is due to the interface (itunes) which I'm sure you already have. I've loaded songs onto friends "other" mp3 players with no issues (I just dragged songs from itunes to their "disk"). Why go through the hassle (even if it's not much) of loading Windows if you don't need to? Run to an Apple store, buy the Nano, go home, sync up, enjoy!! No bubbles, No Troubles....

My 2 cents....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with them too - Creative will give you the nice drag-and-drop capability in OS X or a nano will allow you to stay in OS X with iTunes. Either way, the Zune, while being a great deal, will cause a lot of unnecessary headaches.

-jb
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that new little Creative Zen with a 2.5" screen looks like a nice player. It also has an SD slot for expansion and FM tuner. We may have a new number one or two guys. Don't forget, this is just something to hold me over to the 2G iPhone. It's not like I'm dumping the iPod and iTunes thing. Just taking a small sabbatical with something in the $95-150 price range.
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, you are basing this on the fact that a new iPhone will be released at Macworld. However, Apple may not release an iPhone until June of next year (a year from launch). Only time will tell. That being said, you might need to deal with this player for only 2 months or almost 10 months.

-jb
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
AnthroPC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbstingray wrote:
However, you are basing this on the fact that a new iPhone will be released at Macworld. However, Apple may not release an iPhone until June of next year (a year from launch). Only time will tell. That being said, you might need to deal with this player for only 2 months or almost 10 months.

-jb

Very true, however they might do what they did this year and announce the fact that there will be a new iPhone in January, and then ship it worldwide.

>> WEBSITE! <<>> TOONS! <<
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnthroPC wrote:

Very true, however they might do what they did this year and announce the fact that there will be a new iPhone in January, and then ship it worldwide.

I would agree, except Apple's iPhone sales would seriously slump if they released details of a newer iPhone coming... basically no one would buy them until the newest iteration comes out. Apple strongly embraces the "ignorance is bliss" mentality and the iPhone will most likely be the same.

-jb
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want a little more memory in that iPhone. Everything else is good enough. I also agree with jbstingray. The next iPhone will be available as soon as it's announced or shortly thereafter. They won't preannounce the next model.

Still looking over those players...
mediumrare

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Mac, yes you would be. The Zune software is ONLY compatible with PC's. Laughing
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mediumrare wrote:
If you have a Mac, yes you would be. The Zune software is ONLY compatible with PC's. Laughing

See Boot Camp and VM Fusion. Wink

It doesn't matter though. I bought a 4GB Creative Zen for $109 from Buy.com last night. The regular price is $119, but I used the Google Checkout deal for the first time. I also picked up an SD card. I can't wait to get them next week. Tunes at work again! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPods All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: