123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hard Disk Enclosures
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Austin MacTexas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bani wrote:
I just got an ams venus external 1394/usb2 enclosure. it's really, really nice. has an internal 80mm fan (silent), oxford 911 chipset, and has a nice slide-in drive tray with direct plug connectors -- no cables to mess with (yay!).

I too was looking at all the choices out there now. Ive been drooling over the MiniMate, Lacie, and MiniStack. But my pratical side got the better of me. Wound up ordering a new Samsung spinpoint drive to put in a Venus DS3 enclosure that I already own. Great enclosure B.T.W. But ascetically speaking, it cant compare to the others. I did stick one of those white apple logo stickers that came in the box with my mac mini onto the DS3.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing what those Apple stickers can do to an otherwise boring product!
iLife's a Bitch!
Austin MacTexas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newegg delivered my drive yesterday. Here is some data:

OSX 10.4.2

AMS Venus DS3 enclosure with Samsung Spinpoint 2014N 200 GB drive.

New drive is VERY quiet. Seek noise is not bad either, but not nearly as quiet as the internal 2.5" drive. From sitting at my desk, I can hear my kids PC that sits across the room much louder than my Mini, which is 3 ft. from my ears.

Using Restore function of built in Disk Utilities failed to produce a clone that I could boot from. Solved by doing clean install, and using the install option to copy my apps and data over to the external drive.

Xbench Disk Test score went from 59.77 to 74.11
Xbench Overall score went from 114.34 to 117.19

Mac is noticeably faster to load apps. And no more dropped frames while capturing video in iMovie (which was the main problem I wanted solved).
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slickrick wrote:
Nice. I like the direct plug connectors. Is the fan really quiet? Between the drive and fan it has to be loud.

Larger fans are quieter than than smaller fans. Bigger fans = more airflow at lower speeds = quieter fans. This is why ministack will be louder when the fans come on than this device. Quality of the fans also play a mojor roll and weather they are sleeve type or ball bearing.

I am still debating on cooling verses conveinience of the auto power on for the ministack.

**UPDATE**
After running my new Maxtor 200GB drive for a while in my 5.25" enclosure for a while I decided function was better than form and bought the AMS VENUS DS-2316CBK from Newegg.com. The small fan sound is very noticeable and not very efficient. I will leave my DVD burner in it and put an Apple sticker on both for appearance sake.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin MacTexas wrote:
Newegg delivered my drive yesterday. Here is some data:

OSX 10.4.2

AMS Venus DS3 enclosure with Samsung Spinpoint 2014N 200 GB drive.

New drive is VERY quiet. Seek noise is not bad either, but not nearly as quiet as the internal 2.5" drive. From sitting at my desk, I can hear my kids PC that sits across the room much louder than my Mini, which is 3 ft. from my ears.

Using Restore function of built in Disk Utilities failed to produce a clone that I could boot from. Solved by doing clean install, and using the install option to copy my apps and data over to the external drive.

Xbench Disk Test score went from 59.77 to 74.11
Xbench Overall score went from 114.34 to 117.19

Mac is noticeably faster to load apps. And no more dropped frames while capturing video in iMovie (which was the main problem I wanted solved).

Does the drive spin down when the system goes into sleep mode?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Austin MacTexas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first instinct was to say "YES it does spin down", but when I thought about it for a minute, I realized that I did not actually know if it did or not. The Samsung drive is so quite when idle, I can't hear it (seek is a different story).
As an experiment, I tested the SLEEP button on the login window. In that case, the HD drive does stop spinning, though the fan in the DS3 still spins. I haven't determined yet if the HD spins down just from inactivity. I'll watch for that.
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin MacTexas wrote:
My first instinct was to say "YES it does spin down", but when I thought about it for a minute, I realized that I did not actually know if it did or not. The Samsung drive is so quite when idle, I can't hear it (seek is a different story).
As an experiment, I tested the SLEEP button on the login window. In that case, the HD drive does stop spinning, though the fan in the DS3 still spins. I haven't determined yet if the HD spins down just from inactivity. I'll watch for that.

I just received the the DS3 on Thursday and I have done a lot of testing and checking. I installed a Maxtor L01P200 200GB drive wich is very quiet.

I can affirn that the DS3:
  • The fan always stays running.
  • It is bootable.
  • The drive spins down when the mini turns off.
  • It makes very little noise, my wall clocks, second hand is louder in this room
  • The drive spins down when not in use both when it is the system drive and when it is an extra drive.

I highly rcomend this enclosure, and thanks to Austin MacTexas for recommending it.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: