123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First computer??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: First computer?? Reply with quote

I'm gonna try and walk the thin line between on and off topic with this thread, so admins, be nice to me!!

I'm just interested in knowing what everyone's FIRST computing platform was. (if it WASN'T Apple, then obviously, you are a SWITCHER!!) Smile

My first computer was a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A. My first experience with Apple was the Apple IIe's that we programmed with in high school. My TI-99/4A was replace by a Commodore 64 sometime in the late 80's and I bought my first PC (a 286-12Mhz) in 1989. Been pretty much a PC guy (more linux than Windows) up until now. Awaiting my three Mac minis....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jase

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always up for a walk down memory lane...

I started out on an Atari 800XL at home, and worked on a Commodore PET at school.

After that it was a Tandy 1000SX (IBM XT clone). I milked that thing for a long time before moving up to a 386SX. From there it's been a constant series of upgrades.

I made the move over to linux (Mandrake and then Gentoo) full time about 5 years ago after playing with it on and off for a few years before that.

My first "switch" attempt was last summer when I bought a 12" Powerbook. Bad idea, and I should have known better. The Powerbook was fine, but I just can't stand working at low resolutions, and I didn't need the portability of a laptop. It just wasn't a smart purchase. So I sold it to someone who could make better use of it.

The Mini will be my second attempt at a Mac. It was exactly what I was looking for, tiny, quiet, and lets me use my 20" LCD, so I won't be stuck with a small desktop area. It'll be a 2nd machine to start with, but may relegate my Linux machine to being only a server if I like the Mini enough.
bubba

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, our first home computer was a Commadore 64. I remember going over to my parents friends house and borrowing a bunch of floppies with games on them (Jumpman was my favorite) and then spending forever copying them at home.

We didn't have a computer for about 5 more years, then dad bought an Apple Color Classic (still in use today by my Grandmother, mind you, with all original parts... she's using MacWrite Pro to compose letters to her grandchildren and write poetry). This was our first Mac, and I mainly used it to play stupid games on it (I think it had like 100MB HD? Maybe smaller).

My first computer (non-family computer) was a Compaq all in one deal from Walmart (all in one being monitor, cpu, floppy, 2400 modem - no cd - small town so we didn't have much to choose from). I spent my HS graduation money (1 year prematurely) on it (I think it was about $600). From this I ran Windows 3.1, but spent most of my time in DOS running a BBS.

After HS graduation I upgraded to a Dell. I still have the recepit and can't believe I paid what I did. I started messing with Linux at this time and used Slackware.

After college I began getting more into building computers and majored in computer science. Redhat was started at my college so there was an abundance of users on campus, so I moved to Redhat at version 4.

I ended up being a UNIX sysadmin (Solaris/Linux). I (and the companies I worked for) ran Redhat up until version 7, then I moved (and I moved most of the companies I worked for) to Debian because of package management. About 2 years ago we got a new boss at my job and he was ordering computers for us, and we both decided to try a Powerbook. Shortly after this boss left I got our next new boss to get me a G5.

About a year ago I left this job and one of the things that I was going to miss the most was leaving my Mac's behind. My wife let me take the vacation money that was paid out to me and I bought a Powerbook with the intention of taking it to my new job. Well, my new job is doing network security and I have to enforce network security policies (one of which is personal assets cannot be used on the corporate network). So it turns out I didn't take my Powerbook to work much, if at all, and it mainly set on my desk hooked to an external LCD (given to my by my wife as a wedding gift) and external keyboard. So, much like the guy above, I didn't really use the portability of the Powerbook. Luckily, I was recently able to sell it on eBay before the new ones came out and actually got more than I paid for it (had an Apple employee buy it for me). I sold it in preparation of getting a Mini, since it was exactly what I was looking for - something cheap, something just as powerful as the Powerbook, and something small.

So, after selling the Powerbook, buying a Loaded 1.42 mini, and buying 1GB of ram, I still have $1700 left from my Powerbook sale to do something with. I'm hoping that Apple will make some great innovation between now and next year at this time, and I'll use that money towards whatever this may be and bump the Mini down to my wife. I do have a Linux server (now Ubuntu) where we store all our files and such that I fall back on every now and then.
geegee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first computer was a Commadore Vic 20. My parents bought it for me and my brother for Chirstmas and it even came with a cassette drive for tons of storage. Then a few years later we talked our parents into buying a Commadore 64 for school work and all we did was game on it. Now when I'm in the computer lab at school I yell at the kids for playing games. It's really ironic!

Smalldog.com is my favorite Apple Store!
ashby

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was a Tandy 486 and man it was expensive! Shocked
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Bubba...that was just WEIRD (for ME, that is)....

I was reading your post and half thought you were talking about ME!

Let's see if I can document all the parallels.

- I owned a Commodore 64
- I ALSO owned one of those same all-in-one Compaq computers (we got ours from Sam's Club instead of Walmart) Smile
- I ran a BBS for several years.
- My next computer was a Dell (and this is the computer I first started playing with Linux on)
- I spent several years as a UNIX admin (Solaris and Linux mostly, but also HP-UX, UNICOS, and Irix)
- Last year I started a new job as a Security Engineer (responsible for the IT security of my company's datacenters, corporate network, etc)
- AND, I sold a laptop to free up some money for my Mac mini purchase. Smile

Now, there are certainly some differences...From your basic timeline, I think I'm a little older than you (born in 1970) as I didn't get into PC's till AFTER getting out of the military (Air Force). The first time I started playing with Linux, it was Slackware (partitioned my 40MB drive to make room for it). Later I moved to Redhat (first version I used seriously was 3.0.3).

And I STILL have that AIO Compaq system somewhere! Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commodore 64 here! Mr. Green
iLife's a Bitch!
bubba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:

Wow, that is weird! Born in 77, so yeah, you're a little older but not much. No kids here yet Smile
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
mavherzog wrote:

Wow, that is weird! Born in 77, so yeah, you're a little older but not much. No kids here yet Smile

I just had my third child a couple of weeks ago. Gabriel Python. (my two other kids are named Amanda Perl and Theodore Daemon) Smile
bubba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:

I just had my third child a couple of weeks ago. Gabriel Python. (my two other kids are named Amanda Perl and Theodore Daemon) Smile

Proof that us guys only get dibs on choosing the middle name Smile

Theodore isn't named after Ted T'so is he?
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
mavherzog wrote:

Proof that us guys only get dibs on choosing the middle name Smile

Theodore isn't named after Ted T'so is he?

Nope. Although "Amanda" is named after the popular open source backup software (Advanced Maryland Automated Network Disk Archiver)... Smile
hal9k

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get this >> Coleco ADAM! ToysRUs was dumping them for $250. I really was a total newbie. Cassette drive; RF to TV. Luckily, something didn't work; got cash back. Saved for Apple IIc. Didn't know the II line was near EOL; coulda spent a little xtra (I got all the toys for IIc) and got a Plus!

Now using PB G3 12" 233 (196, 10G) Wallstreet. OS 9.1.

Aside from speed (esp. surfing) the 12in screen is not good when viewed thru bifocals.

UPGRADE cash reserves then decide on Mini (w/kludgy setup for my situation) or iBook 14". Went to Apple Store; that xtra 2in makes a BIG difference IMHO.

Oh--> loved Beagle Bros stuff -- their plugins for AppleWorks WP were outstanding!

Only thing I know about */Nix is "grep"; isn't it weird; it seems that's the one command everybody remembers.
(For me, I think it's cool, cause it sorta sounds/looks like "GROK"!)

Grok On! Get a Grep On IT!
SStreet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread looks like a good place for an introduction -- my first post! Smile

My first computer was also a TI99/4A for Christmas of 1980, I just turned 8 years old. By the end of Christmas school break, I was writing my own BASIC programs -- and I learned that from the well written TI book "Learning TI BASIC" that shipped with the system. You TI'ers have to remember classic games: "Munch Man", "TI Invaders", and "Parsec".
-- "Alert, enemy fighters approaching" -- if you have the speech module.

I had that system until 88 (had a small fire because I never turned the power off, and I had the "bad" power supply), I killed 3 consoles, a 5Mb harddrive, and 2 speech modules.

In 88 I got an Apple IIgs, school projects at that time on Apple IIe's with the 80column cards, I could boot schools stuff at home and run faster and in color. Later that same year, I also got a 286 system. Started running a BBS on it, purchased more PC systems, at one point in 93 I had 24 modems, phone lines, and PCs on a novel network to run a BBS. I even had a UseNet connection via uucp that I updated hourly.

Today, I'm waiting for a Mini to replace my big, ugly, noisy, windows running desktop, a P4 2.8Ghz. My wife is ordering one for me for our anniversary. Shocked I printed out the config for her.

Though the Mini is 1.4Ghz, 512M, 80G, Apple K&M. I'm betting I'll be more productive. I am a UNIX architect and have been for more then 10 years. I've tried having Linux of various flavors as my desktop, but it always failed in the usability and game department.

I've been thinking about and preparing to switch to Mac OS X for about a year now. I wanted a G5 PowerMac, but damn -- that thing is expensive -- and still a big tower. I'm looking forward for the first time in more then five years to be able to see my cherry wood desk, not kick the computer, not have to reach down to put CDs in, and not run StyleXP with the MacOS theme to make the desktop halfway eye pleasing.

Secondly, I like to write C, C++, and Java. On Windows you need to pay a mighty fee to get a compiler, more for a good one. Sure I do a lot of work on my Linux Gentoo systems, but I only use Linux and/or UNIX for servers. I'm looking forward to using Xcode and writing well presented applications to go with the hard working servers I have already.

As you have read, I ran a BBS for a very long time. I am in the middle of writing a backend (server) platform for UNIX to support a BBS with Fidonet and Internet connectivity. I wonder what it will look like with a Carbon style application...

... I wonder what it will be like running Warcraft III on UNIX? Right next to ssh in a terminal... Ah but, I can only dream. Rolling Eyes
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard SStreet! Much like Bubba, you seem to have a very common history with myself. At the height of my BBS career I was a major FIDOnet hub as well as the founder of a couple of other "FIDO-like" networks (mostly local to my area).

Gentoo is definitely my server OS of choice and have served as a desktop OS for me numerous times. Long time "UNIX guy" myself and had been flirting with the idea of making a jump to OS X for quite a while.

I actually was back onto a FIDO-type network with a web forum not too long ago. (Used phpBB2<>local NNTP server<>funky nntp-to-FIDO mailer type tools (half of which I wrote myself)) It was functional, but I wasn't all that impressed. I also ran a Citadel BBS on linux for a little while.

What I'd REALLY like to see is some well-designed web forum network functionality. Share some forums between websites, with tear lines indicating the originating website and so forth. Basically, bringing the fun of FIDOnet, WWIVnet, etc to the internet age. (web forums truly are the only thing I've seen that recreate the sense of community you had with the old BBSes)
skmstr3000

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a dual user. Dell 2400
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: