123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates MacBook and MacBook Pro
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
I thought the MBP had the same benefits as the MB for swapping the HD. I have such a PB 12" G4....

Not at all, unfortunately. It's a fairly lengthy procedure.

Here's a guide: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Pro/Hard-Drive/85/5/
fouadbakht

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texarc, I think you got a point. Besides, as compared to the release/announcement of Leopard, which is still in limelight, the updates would not have been so striking, I guess.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colstan wrote:
1. Santa Rosa chipset uses an 800Mhz FSB. You can tell by looking at the Core 2 Duo frequencies (2.2, 2.4, 2.6) which are based upon the multiplier they use.

So it would seem that although the switch to Santa Rosa has made little difference to the specification of the MacBooks you can buy today, it has in fact cleared the path for the MB to be updated in the future with faster processors than the previous chipset would allow.

Is that about right? Confused
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't understand why Apple didn't release or announce these last week. It sort of seems tricky and unfair to the people that were waiting to buy a MacBook with Leopard. I guess they'll get swamped with returns now.
Colstan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
So it would seem that although the switch to Santa Rosa has made little difference to the specification of the MacBooks you can buy today, it has in fact cleared the path for the MB to be updated in the future with faster processors than the previous chipset would allow.

Is that about right? Confused

Upgraded to any future Intel mobile chips that support an 800Mhz FSB, yes. Keep in mind though, that Intel will release the Montevina chipset with 1066Mhz FSB, Penryn support, faster integrated graphics (GMA X4500), DDR3 memory, better wireless, etc. in Q2 of next year. At this point the only thing that might come from the Santa Rosa generation is a possible speed bump or two with the C2D.

Colstan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: