123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW IBOOKS!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iPod

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: NEW IBOOKS! Reply with quote

The new iBooks are out!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71408/wo/Yf5AbxJxzhNh2a6u6IE2aaeweEs/3.0.11.1.0.6.23.1.1.1.0.0.0.1.0
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, you're possibly the last person on this website to discover that. hehehe jp...but I knew this morning!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
iPod

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WC3_Gamer wrote:
Congrats, you're possibly the last person on this website to discover that. hehehe jp...but I knew this morning!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

lmao! It's all good :p Although I'm starting to regret my $1000 spent on my mac mini... I've always wanted an iBook, too.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the iBooks, especially now that they're more PowerBookish. I just wish they had better screen resolutions. But then again, who doesn't want more, of everything? Laughing
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheModWiki.org told me that they're plastic, I haven't paid much attention to them at the Apple Stores, but I was surprised to find this out. But heck, if I bought a laptop, I'd be VERY careful with it, plus they have the scrolling, and HD protection features now, Awesome! Very Happy
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mini is plastic too, just the outside is Al. I would prefer plastic because it's easier to make pretty again if it's scratched and it stratches about as easily as the Al PBs.

Getting metal is a luxury; have you seen any metal laptops on the market besides the PB? I know my $4000 laptop is all plastic, and it probably feels worse than the iBook. Of course, with HP that's too be expected. Good thing it runs like a beast.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, IDK what to do now, I gotta do some math about how much it'll cost me for the mini/monitor/accesories as opposed to a stock iBook..I'm sure the iBook would be slightly more, but hey, it's a laptop. Smile
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WC3_Gamer wrote:
Hmm, IDK what to do now, I gotta do some math about how much it'll cost me for the mini/monitor/accesories as opposed to a stock iBook..I'm sure the iBook would be slightly more, but hey, it's a laptop. Smile

You have $500 saved right (Good for you). Do you have a monitor you can plug into the mini for now? You could start enjoying your computer sooner without going into debt.

Do you need or want a laptop. Think about ergonomics. Lots of people have problems being hunched over a laptop. Think about AIO repair costs.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill has a point about ergonomics. The iBooks only come in 12" and 14", though that would be your choice because of cost. I could only imagine working on a 15" as my keyboard gets to me after using it too long. I think you'd enjoy a Mini even though you lose portability, but who knows, you might not even use the portability even if you had an iBook.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
andp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.25GH Mac mini $499 + $799 for 20" Apple Cinema = $1298

New 14" iBook = $1299

My pick is da mini with da ACD! Very Happy Unless you ned to bring your computer to school or something.
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish Apple still made 17" displays, I'd consider one of them, but there's no way I'll be able to afford that display, i can hardly afford just the mini itself.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WC3_Gamer wrote:
TheModWiki.org told me that they're plastic, I haven't paid much attention to them at the Apple Stores, but I was surprised to find this out. But heck, if I bought a laptop, I'd be VERY careful with it, plus they have the scrolling, and HD protection features now, Awesome! Very Happy

Why would you be surprised about the iBook being plastic? I have worked in IT for 10 years and the vast majority of notebooks on the market are some sort of plastic. Granted Apples plastics stand out, because their color schemes break with traditional brown, beige, black, and lately silver.

Its worth pointing out that plastic does not mean cheap. Apple uses a very tough polycarbonate plastic wrapped around a magnesium frame. They claim that their polycarbonate is the same material that is used in bullet proof glass.

In reality, the materials matter more for weight and aesthetics, than durability. Even if a Titanium notebook gets dropped, the LCD is most likely going to shatter and before the recent addition of motion sensors the hard drive heads would crash too.
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I guess I didn't think of them being plastic. My sister's laptop has a crabon fiber looking cover on hers so I didn't know it was plastic. I'm dumb! Shocked
idave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:

Its worth pointing out that plastic does not mean cheap. Apple uses a very tough polycarbonate plastic wrapped around a magnesium frame. They claim that their polycarbonate is the same material that is used in bullet proof glass.

The plastic Apple uses on the iBook is the best. The stuff is solid and durable, but it's prone to scratches and swirl marks. Dell and HP make no plastic laptops of this quality.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried putting 3M translucent film on an iBook to protect it. It works well on motorcycles without making them look ugly. If you scratch up the film you can peel it off and replace it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: