123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Operation Complete

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianbelcher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Operation Complete Reply with quote

Well, I did it:

New 5400rpm 100gb hd dual booted with os x tiger and yellow dog linux and overclock processor.

My only question is why dont my widgets do the cool little water effect when I drag and drop them onto the screen?

hmmm...

-Ian
1GB RAM
Dual Boot W/Yellow Dog Linux
e3mw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive apple left it off of the mini's because the Mini's 32MB Video RAM just couldn't handle the core effects as seamlessly as the other macs could. This is why alot of people were dissapointed that apple didn't upgrade the mini's video card in the recent update. I, for one, don't mind not having the ripples, it's just bells and whistles to me Wink
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the ripple is actually only done if your computer support Core Image. Currently the Radeon 9200 processor doesn't, though the new Radeon 9550 does. The only computer that isn't Core Image is the Mini, currently.

Glad to hear you upgraded the hard drive. I would've been more impressed if you got the 120Gb one though, Laughing.

So what speed's your proc running at now?
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't it seem silly that our Mac minis can't do the ripple effect, just because they do not support core image. I'm quite sure they are capable.

I want the ripple effect, just because I can't have it Crying or Very sad
If I could have it, I'd surely turn it off Smile
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I want the ripple effect, just because I can't have it Crying or Very sad If I could have it, I'd surely turn it off Smile

Probably true for many of us Wink
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
ianbelcher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

I only overclocked her to 1.42Ghz as anywhere I looked I saw there was problems associated with using the other speeds.

You know what my theory is? I think that they use the same chip in all mini configurations and they just add or leave out how many resistors they need to make each respective speed; it is a good business strategy.
1GB RAM
Dual Boot W/Yellow Dog Linux
WC3_Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it is, that way the only make one chip, and just slightly modify it, just like cars. An RSX has the same engine as a Civic SI, but they just make slight mods to it and put an Acura badge on it Cool
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: reply Reply with quote

ianbelcher wrote:
I only overclocked her to 1.42Ghz as anywhere I looked I saw there was problems associated with using the other speeds.

You know what my theory is? I think that they use the same chip in all mini configurations and they just add or leave out how many resistors they need to make each respective speed; it is a good business strategy.

Well, that's pretty much how all chips are made, though chips normally aren't clock speed dependant on resistors on the motherboard.

Intel and AMD chips are produced and they're all pretty much the same design, though they test which speeds they're stable at, and then they brand them for that speed.

I would bet that all of the chips are the ssame in the Minis, though they are tested so that they work at the proper speed. Some 1.25 chips will not be able to hit 1.42Ghz because of flaws in their construction.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
colt .45

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: reply Reply with quote

ianbelcher wrote:

No problems here at 1.5 Smile
TheModWiki.org

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: reply Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
ianbelcher wrote:

Well, that's pretty much how all chips are made, though chips normally aren't clock speed dependant on resistors on the motherboard.

Intel and AMD chips are produced and they're all pretty much the same design, though they test which speeds they're stable at, and then they brand them for that speed.

I would bet that all of the chips are the ssame in the Minis, though they are tested so that they work at the proper speed. Some 1.25 chips will not be able to hit 1.42Ghz because of flaws in their construction.

Yeah, lots of the chip makers let the higher grade silicon gain higher clock speeds, while the lower quality silicon gets teh shaft & lower speed
Maxtor 300GB Ext. FW
Pioneer DVR-K05 SD

www.PaulStamatiou.com , 9rules Network
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: reply Reply with quote

TheModWiki.org wrote:
Yeah, lots of the chip makers let the higher grade silicon gain higher clock speeds, while the lower quality silicon gets teh shaft & lower speed

Well, what I was actually saying is that, say, the AMD 2800+, 3000+, and 3200+ A64s are all the same chip. The thing is that AMD only makes the 3200+ chip configuration, but there are defects in the 2800+ and 3000+ that allow them to only reach lower speeds, 2800+ and 3000+. AMD doesn't lose money then making different actual chips, they just make one, and then any that can't reach the 3200+ rating, can be rated lower. This also allows AMD to change the amount of each chip produced quite easily, because they can just badge fully functional 3200+s as lower speeds if they need more of those chips.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
akeros

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes that's when you can overclock nicely Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: