123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Booting from External Drive to Increase Speed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Macsince84

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Booting from External Drive to Increase Speed Reply with quote

I've heard that booting from a external drive such as the 7200rpm variety is a way to improve overall speed. If that is the case; just how does one go about making the external drive the bootable drive. Any help would be appreciated. I am used to running everything pretty much stock.

Bunch of iMacs and Desktops. Soon to be mini owner.
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite easy.

Just connect the firewire drive to the mini. OS X will recognize the drive and ask if you want to initialize it. After being initialized you can use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! to clone the drive. I have sucessfully used both peices of software, although with Tiger CarbonCopyCloner needs aditional steps to reset permissions, but no big deal.

After the drive is cloned go to System Prefrences and then to Startup Disk and select the external drive. (If it not available then there was a problem with the clone)

Reboot and enjoy the speedy goodness!

One note: You need to make sure the external enclosure is bootable.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to add that this weekend I plan on writing up an in depth HOW-TO on booting with an external drive covering partitions, enclosures, software, benchmarks, and dual booting.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fullroast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great - I guess I can wait a few more days. Maybe ... Smile
billabong

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do everything homerjatmoes says! I would recommend using SuperDuper over CC. CC is still having some issues with Tiger.
Macsince84

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: How to Boot... Reply with quote

homerjatmoes wrote:
I just want to add that this weekend I plan on writing up an in depth HOW-TO on booting with an external drive covering partitions, enclosures, software, benchmarks, and dual booting.

Thanks to everyone for great input. I feel more confident about the process; look forward to reading the "how to". Very Happy
RedTed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I would add. Make sure you uncheck the "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" option in Energy Saver under System Preferences. If you don't it causes problems with speed and performance on awakening.
At least it does on my mini. Crying or Very sad
80GB Internal
LaCie d2 DVD-RW Firewire
Western Digital 40GB External USB2 HD
OS X Tiger 10.4.2
iPOD Shuffle 512 MB

1 GHz PowerPC G4 Flat Panel 15"
1 GB DDR SDRAM
200GB ST3200822A HD
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedTed wrote:
One thing I would add. Make sure you uncheck the "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" option in Energy Saver under System Preferences. If you don't it causes problems with speed and performance on awakening.
At least it does on my mini. Crying or Very sad

What brand and model enclosure is it? My enclosure is fine when waking up. Do you have to reboot to get performance back?
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
castaway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedTed wrote:

Can you leave that checked if you're booting from an external drive?
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:
Can you leave that checked if you're booting from an external drive?

Yes, it is more than likley his enclosure. I left it checked and I have no problems coming out of sleep mode. Just give it a try, if you have problems disable it the benifits of an external drive are worth it.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
h4ns

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Solution for sleep on drives.. Reply with quote

I've ordered a mini, and i'm going to boot it from an external LaCie FireWire drive.

Now i'm thinking about the sleep issues. The mini is mostly used as server, and will be on 24/7. The internal 80GB drive will be used for MP3 storage, and letting that drive go to sleep is a big +. The FireWire disk however will be the drive that may *not* go to sleep.

Anybody with an idea how to set this up? I'm thinking about a little background process that will access the FireWire drive every 5 minutes or so?
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I wouldn't mind finding out a way to do this myself. You can't control individual drives in Energy Saver (Put the hard disks to sleep when possible). Confused
iLife's a Bitch!
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution for sleep on drives.. Reply with quote

h4ns wrote:
I've ordered a mini, and i'm going to boot it from an external LaCie FireWire drive.

Now i'm thinking about the sleep issues. The mini is mostly used as server, and will be on 24/7. The internal 80GB drive will be used for MP3 storage, and letting that drive go to sleep is a big +. The FireWire disk however will be the drive that may *not* go to sleep.

Anybody with an idea how to set this up? I'm thinking about a little background process that will access the FireWire drive every 5 minutes or so?

Drives "sleeping" and the mini sleeping are two vastly different things. The drives actually spin down and rest. Restarting my firewire drive from spindown is a lot faster than if the mini is asleep (almost instant)

What kind of server are you talking about?

If you are using it as a file server used in your home it won't matter if the drive spins down. If you you find you need a script put it on the client computer so when it is not accesing the server the drives can spin down.

Set up the Energy Saver panel so you don't allow the mini to go to sleep but check the option to spin down the drives the internal laptop drive needs it's rest..

Make sure you do not put anything that can't be replaced on the internal drive when being used as a server, laptop drives where not meant to be used as a server drive and will more than likley fail.

Make sure the Lacie drive enclosure offers proper cooling and is not just "passive" cooling or the external drive will die sooner. I also noticed that Maxtor drives will sleep on their own regardless of the OS settings. I would check Lacie for that.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a post about the guide I said I would write:

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1418
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
h4ns

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mini will function as fileserver, but also as a web/ftp/kdx server so I don't want the external drive to spin up and down all the time.

I have a Cube running 24/7 now, (installed a fan) and have the LaCie connected with a 200GB Maxtor 6B200P0 that never goes to sleep. The Lacie used to have a WDC 120GB drive, and does not have a fan. I'm aware that this is not ideal for the HD, but it has been running fine for over a year now. As far as I know it's also not ideal for a drive if it's spinning up and down every 5 minutes Wink

I guess what I need now is an enclosure that has some sort of cooling, an try to find something to let the 2,5" drive go to sleep.

If that's not possible maybe I should think about removing the 2,5" drive and go for the external IDE or SATA option?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: