123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

External DVD Recorder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e3mw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: External DVD Recorder Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone else who didn't go for the SuperDrive are able to still burn iDVD stuff and the like using an external drive. I'm thinking of buying an enclosure for one of my already existing internal DVD burners and making it into a drive that my Mini can use. Are there other people doing this? Any problems/issues I should know about?

Thanks in advance Smile
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kadronarxis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost a year and a half, that i own a Lite-on 851SX, DVD-RW.
Single layer.
iDVD works fine, and also Roxio Toast Titanium.

I prefer external writers.I dont know why!
e3mw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kadronarxis wrote:
I prefer external writers.I dont know why!

I know why! They're easier to upgrade! hehe Razz
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the LaCies works with iDVD etc. The good one comes with Toast Titanium (worth $100 CDN) and has litescribe, which is a cool way to burn pictures on expensive disks. The disks will come down as other companies are adopting this technology.

The Lacie burner doesn't look too bad, but it doesn't match the mini. It has a black drive.

I know they are going to revise the burner in the fall. If you can wait. I don't know what's coming other than it will burn litescribe pictures 2X as fast.

Hopefully it is a pretty as the Sony.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the LaCie d2. It does a good job, even though it ain't that fancy. Wish I had the new LightScribe ones!
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a utility to get unsuported drives to work in OS X called PatchBurn

I had a Memorex D33013 laying around which is a re-badged Pioneer model and so far it works fine without patching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
philpro68

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: External DVD Recorder Reply with quote

e3mw wrote:
I was wondering if anyone else who didn't go for the SuperDrive are able to still burn iDVD stuff and the like using an external drive. I'm thinking of buying an enclosure for one of my already existing internal DVD burners and making it into a drive that my Mini can use. Are there other people doing this? Any problems/issues I should know about?

Thanks in advance Smile

I was wondering the same thing! Are the external DVD burners expensive? When you're trying a new operating system out, you start thinking "I don't need this or that", then you get this awesome machine and you think " I need everything"!!! Sure wish I'd got the Superdrive Crying or Very sad
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a LaCie d2 for around $150 on Amazon. That's only $50 dollars more than buying the Superdrive from Apple. The best thing about external drives is you can use them with other computers and operating systems. Try doing that with your BTO Superdrive!
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my external with my laptop and mini both via firewire. The drive records as fast as it did when it was in my desktop. A seperate drive and enclosure will come in around $80.00.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
danny_w

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any recommendations as to what drive to go with if you put it in an external enclosure? What brands/models are known to work with iDVD 5 w/o patching?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: