123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leopard Roundup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nmbob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:
I'm also dissapointed that Time Machine won't work with Airport Disks. Early on, Apple had indicated this would be the case, then suddenly Airport support was removed.

There was a workaround on one of the *many* forums I've been reading through (with my mouth hanging open as I read through all of the problems people are having...and as I get ready to drive 150 miles to the Apple store in Albuquerque to buy a copy of Leopard anyway Smile). It was something like get TM to use the disk through a USB cable, then create a file with a specific name *somewhere*, hook the drive to the base station and you're all set. It was really simple, but I don't have ay of the parts so I wasn't paying too much attention. MaxFixIt? MacOSXHints? Someplace like that.

They may have pulled it out because an iterruption to the network connection (airport connections never drop randomly. Do they!?) could scramble your whole backup disk...or something like that. As a programmer I could see something like that happening. I'm sure it'll be back. They're letting 3rd party apps on iPhones, ain't they? Smile

Bob
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmbob wrote:
Maybe Leopard is really checking the permissions now and Tiger was just playing a game or two of solitaire. Smile

Funny, I thought about that. I'm still leaning on the side of this being an issue. 10.5.1 anyone? Smile
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
nmbob wrote:
Maybe Leopard is really checking the permissions now and Tiger was just playing a game or two of solitaire. Smile

Funny, I thought about that. I'm still leaning on the side of this being an issue. 10.5.1 anyone? Smile

I have another machine to upgrade today. I have deliberately avoided installing the Apple Remote Desktop Client update. I suspect that this update has done something to the catalog. I'll try a repair permissions on this ARDAgent free machine to see if it works any better and I will report back here.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmbob wrote:
bsnoel wrote:
I'm also dissapointed that Time Machine won't work with Airport Disks. Early on, Apple had indicated this would be the case, then suddenly Airport support was removed.

There was a workaround on one of the *many* forums I've been reading through (with my mouth hanging open as I read through all of the problems people are having...and as I get ready to drive 150 miles to the Apple store in Albuquerque to buy a copy of Leopard anyway Smile). It was something like get TM to use the disk through a USB cable, then create a file with a specific name *somewhere*, hook the drive to the base station and you're all set. It was really simple, but I don't have ay of the parts so I wasn't paying too much attention. MaxFixIt? MacOSXHints? Someplace like that.

They may have pulled it out because an iterruption to the network connection (airport connections never drop randomly. Do they!?) could scramble your whole backup disk...or something like that. As a programmer I could see something like that happening. I'm sure it'll be back. They're letting 3rd party apps on iPhones, ain't they? Smile

Bob

I have seen a few workarounds, but I have not tried any of them yet. It is rumored that Apple is still working on this feature and that it may still make an appearance in a future update. I sure hope so after all the hyping of this feature that Apple created.
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a cigar wrote:

PS: admin, you've got both (G4 and an Intel), have you noticed any difference?

The menu bar is not transparent on the G4. That might not be such a bad thing though. Wink
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:
blazer wrote:
nmbob wrote:

I have another machine to upgrade today. I have deliberately avoided installing the Apple Remote Desktop Client update. I suspect that this update has done something to the catalog. I'll try a repair permissions on this ARDAgent free machine to see if it works any better and I will report back here.

Well I upgraded the machine and ran the Repair Permissions without the ARDAgent update installed. The result, the repair still took for ever, the only difference was that there were not any errors pointing to the ARDAgent. Oh well, I bet Apple will get to fixing this slow repair issue fairly quickly.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care much for the new system folders. The blues just bend all together. It's hard to tell them apart. Quick Look on the other hand is fantastic. My spacebar is going to get some workout over the next few years. I also like a lot of the new features in Mail. I was thinking about switching to Firebird, but this new version put an end to that.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
I don't care much for the new system folders. The blues just bend all together.

Agreed!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My super cool looking Leopard box is still sitting on my desk. Shocked

I had to work overtime yesterday and got home late Friday night. I'll probably give it a go after the Jets game.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I had a busy weekend and were not able to do much with computers in general and Mac specific, I will buy my new Mini with Leopard coming week. Does anyone who just bought a new Mac know, if it comes with a dedicated Leopard (in my case: specially meant for the Mac Mini) like one had with former Mac's? Rolling Eyes
mr miyagi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: will it slow my mac mini leopard? Reply with quote

hi
sorry if this post is in the wrong part of this forum. However i am concerned that my mac mini which is 1.83Ghz intel core duo and has only 512MB and 80GIG ram, will slow down because of the leopard? should i be worried and get more memory instead of 512 get 1GIG, or should i notice no slowness of speed compared to my current os x tiger operating system.

thanks in advance
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: will it slow my mac mini leopard? Reply with quote

mr miyagi wrote:
hi
sorry if this post is in the wrong part of this forum. However i am concerned that my mac mini which is 1.83Ghz intel core duo and has only 512MB and 80GIG ram, will slow down because of the leopard? should i be worried and get more memory instead of 512 get 1GIG, or should i notice no slowness of speed compared to my current os x tiger operating system.

thanks in advance

Will it run? Yes. But 512MB isn't going to be sufficient with Leopard once you get rolling. I would suggest moving to at least 1GB, 2GB would be optimal. You will be amazed with the difference in performance. It's well worth the investment.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer is right, and as memory is exceptionally cheap at the moment, now's the time to buy.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that even with Tiger, 1GB is a must.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest Onyx 1.8.4b (beta) seems to work fine in 10.5.
I ran it with no apparent problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: