123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leopard Roundup
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Leopard Roundup Reply with quote

Leopard Roundup
Friday, October 26, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

Apple officially released Mac OS X Leopard into the wild tonight. Down below is a small roundup of early reviews, installation tips and box opening pictures. We received our copies earlier this evening via FedEx. Since then, we have successfully installed Leopard on a couple of test machines. This includes a 1.66GHz Core Duo Mac mini and 1.42GHz G4 Mac mini. The clean install on the Intel-based Mac mini took approximately an hour to complete. Things went a little longer on the G4, but it wasn't that bad. The good news is everything appears to be running smoothly on both machines. Now it's time to roll up our sleeves and dig deeper.

What are your early impressions?

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/795.html

Last edited by admin on Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know how people always joke around and say Safari feels faster. They ain't lying this time. It's smoking fast. I'm also impressed with Time Machine, Quick Look, Mail, and what happens when you plug in a CF card with pics on it. I thought they would, but Stacks and Spaces aren't really doing much for me. The transparent Dock is a little annoying too. I wish there was a way to turn it off.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a Mac mini Core 2 Duo/1.83GHz. It should arrive sometimes next week! Can't wait to use Leopard, iLife '08 and TWO processor cores! Cool

And now that I bought an Intel machine, Apple will probably switch back to PowerPC... they switched to Intel when I bought my Mac mini G4. Wink
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grid spacing! Smile

So far it's all about TM, Front Row and Quick Look for me. Those were really worth the price of admission.
Zalez

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed an occasional stutter when moving around windows. Has anyone else noticed this? I have an Intel mini with 2GB of memory. My son has a MacBook with 1GB of memory and it stutters worse. I guess you need to max things out with the GMA950. Everything else is working really nice. Quick Look is probably the biggest surprise for me. What a handy feature!
Salvo.Dan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Leopard Features for Mac Mini Fans Reply with quote

FrontRow on Non-Intel Mini's and Screen Sharing are a boon for the Mini-as-Home Theatre.
FrontRow can be installed on G4 Mini's *Legitimately*, and with The S-Video Adaptor and Salling Clicker, can function as a dual purpose Media Centre and TV.
System Maintenance can be performed using Screen Sharing; the new Finder means that you can easily connect to the Mini from any Mac on the same network; with the correct password.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of good things to say about Leopard, and a few bad things. So far, Safari is kind of buggy. It keeps crashing on Java code. Not a big deal as I prefer FireFox anyway. Also, has anyone else had issues trying to repair disk permissions? It's slow and keeps reporting an error on the ARDAgent.

I'm also dissapointed that Time Machine won't work with Airport Disks. Early on, Apple had indicated this would be the case, then suddenly Airport support was removed.

One interesting side effect Leopard seems to have significantly reduced the screen flicker on my 1.1 MacBook Pro.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:
Also, has anyone else had issues trying to repair disk permissions? It's slow and keeps reporting an error on the ARDAgent.

Mine keeps running and running. It hasn't finished in over ten minutes. That is odd. Confused
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE the Windows server icon in Finder. Laughing

I wonder if Jobs knew about that one? It is rumored that he dislikes easter eggs and would fire anyone who puts them in Apple code.[/img]
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:
I LOVE the Windows server icon in Finder. Laughing

I wonder if Jobs knew about that one? It is rumored that he dislikes easter eggs and would fire anyone who puts them in Apple code.[/img]

At least they gave it the Aqua treatment. A beige CRT with the BSOD never looked better. Laughing

I'm still trying to figure out the stalled disk permissions. Will yours finish at all?
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out the stalled disk permissions. Will yours finish at all?

I ran the repair permissions from terminal and that was still slow, but after about 10-minutes, it worked. After that the Disk Utility App "sort of works". It is still very slow.

$ sudo diskutil repairPermissions /
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be missing something, but is there a way to change the size of the text in the Finder source list? I'm finding it to be a little on the small side.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leopard is awesome.

I really enjoyed the opening video after you install leopard.
Have a cigar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone with a G4 (1.5) Mac mini who hasn't got a transparent menu bar?

Mine is plain gray, some folks think it might have to do with the grafics card not being core image compatible.

This seems right, however the Dock is 3D and transparent. Odd.

http://forum.onemorething.nl/album_pic.php?pic_id=19355

Regards, HaC

PS: admin, you've got both (G4 and an Intel), have you noticed any difference?

For those of you interested, this is the thread on Apple discussions

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1197590&tstart=15
nmbob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
bsnoel wrote:
Also, has anyone else had issues trying to repair disk permissions? It's slow and keeps reporting an error on the ARDAgent.

Mine keeps running and running. It hasn't finished in over ten minutes. That is odd. Confused

Maybe Leopard is really checking the permissions now and Tiger was just playing a game or two of solitaire. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: