123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Posts Guided Tour of Leopard Video
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Posts: 5391
Location: Dunwoody, GA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinshaw wrote:
Beyond backing up files, what else are you guys doing to prepare?


I cleared out a smaller capacity external for Time Machine this afternoon. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zen
Member
Member


Joined: 05 Oct 2007
Posts: 151
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
I'll also watch it on my AppleTV, right after opening it in QuickTime Pro and exporting it with the wrong aspect ratio. Wink


Its already in perfect 16:9 ratio. Filled my 20" widescreen 100%. No black borders at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 18 Aug 2005
Posts: 541
Location: Quebec, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zen wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:
I'll also watch it on my AppleTV, right after opening it in QuickTime Pro and exporting it with the wrong aspect ratio. Wink


Its already in perfect 16:9 ratio. Filled my 20" widescreen 100%. No black borders at all.


My 4:3 TV doesn't have a letterbox/widescreen mode. The AppleTV doesn't have a 4:3 output option. Everything sent by AppleTV to my TV shows up as anamorphic (i.e. vertically stretched, tall people).

If I export with a wrong aspect ratio (i.e. "reverse anamorphic"), it ends up displaying with the right aspect ratio on my TV (16:9, letterboxed).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jleggz
Member
Member


Joined: 12 Sep 2007
Posts: 58
Location: Norfolk, UK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, ive just watched the apple leopard tour, and coming from a pc and on my way to being a mac mini user next week, i cant wait, it looks an amazing operating system, i cant slate my pc too much as its always done what ive asked it to and it will still be around as my girlfriend uses it alot, but im so looking forward to receiving my mini

James
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zen
Member
Member


Joined: 05 Oct 2007
Posts: 151
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
zen wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:
I'll also watch it on my AppleTV, right after opening it in QuickTime Pro and exporting it with the wrong aspect ratio. Wink


Its already in perfect 16:9 ratio. Filled my 20" widescreen 100%. No black borders at all.


My 4:3 TV doesn't have a letterbox/widescreen mode. The AppleTV doesn't have a 4:3 output option. Everything sent by AppleTV to my TV shows up as anamorphic (i.e. vertically stretched, tall people).

If I export with a wrong aspect ratio (i.e. "reverse anamorphic"), it ends up displaying with the right aspect ratio on my TV (16:9, letterboxed).


Thats a lot more complicated than it should have to be. Maybe its better to use a mini instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 18 Aug 2005
Posts: 541
Location: Quebec, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zen wrote:
Thats a lot more complicated than it should have to be. Maybe its better to use a mini instead.


That's more complicated than it should have to be because:
- my TV doesn't have a widescreen mode for 16:9 content
- the AppleTV doesn't have a letterbox mode for 4:3 TVs

Granted, I knew all this when I bought it, but I was half-expecting Apple to release a simple software update to add 4:3 support to the AppleTV, which could easily be done. After all, the AppleTV wasn't supposed to support 480i either, but it did anyway.


Last edited by Yvan256 on Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
marka87uk
Member
Member


Joined: 07 Apr 2007
Posts: 183
Location: Essex, UK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really liked this introduction to Leopard; makes me want it even more! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
clintbradford
New Member
New Member


Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 11
Location: Mira Loma, CA US

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Preparing for Upgrade Reply with quote

Our good friends at MacFixIt have an excellent tutorial on getting prepared for upgrading this Friday. Unfortunately, too many people will NOT properly prepare themselves, and then blame Apple for locking up their machines...

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20071023091749337

Clint Bradford
_________________
Clint Bradford
http://www.clintbradford.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 2767
Location: Virginia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Preparing for Upgrade Reply with quote

clintbradford wrote:
Our good friends at MacFixIt have an excellent tutorial on getting prepared for upgrading this Friday. Unfortunately, too many people will NOT properly prepare themselves, and then blame Apple for locking up their machines...

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20071023091749337

Clint Bradford


That is an excellent guide for newbies. It might even be good for us old creatures of habit to take a peak at. Wink
_________________
1.25GHz Mac Mini / 1.8GHz iMac G5 / 2.0GHz C2D Mac mini (2009)
4GB iPod mini / 2G iPod shuffle / 16GB iPhone 3G
Apple TV 2
iLife's a Bitch!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.