123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Posts Guided Tour of Leopard Video
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinshaw wrote:
Beyond backing up files, what else are you guys doing to prepare?

I cleared out a smaller capacity external for Time Machine this afternoon. Smile
zen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
I'll also watch it on my AppleTV, right after opening it in QuickTime Pro and exporting it with the wrong aspect ratio. Wink

Its already in perfect 16:9 ratio. Filled my 20" widescreen 100%. No black borders at all.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zen wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:
I'll also watch it on my AppleTV, right after opening it in QuickTime Pro and exporting it with the wrong aspect ratio. Wink

Its already in perfect 16:9 ratio. Filled my 20" widescreen 100%. No black borders at all.

My 4:3 TV doesn't have a letterbox/widescreen mode. The AppleTV doesn't have a 4:3 output option. Everything sent by AppleTV to my TV shows up as anamorphic (i.e. vertically stretched, tall people).

If I export with a wrong aspect ratio (i.e. "reverse anamorphic"), it ends up displaying with the right aspect ratio on my TV (16:9, letterboxed).
jleggz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, ive just watched the apple leopard tour, and coming from a pc and on my way to being a mac mini user next week, i cant wait, it looks an amazing operating system, i cant slate my pc too much as its always done what ive asked it to and it will still be around as my girlfriend uses it alot, but im so looking forward to receiving my mini

James
zen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
zen wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:

My 4:3 TV doesn't have a letterbox/widescreen mode. The AppleTV doesn't have a 4:3 output option. Everything sent by AppleTV to my TV shows up as anamorphic (i.e. vertically stretched, tall people).

If I export with a wrong aspect ratio (i.e. "reverse anamorphic"), it ends up displaying with the right aspect ratio on my TV (16:9, letterboxed).

Thats a lot more complicated than it should have to be. Maybe its better to use a mini instead.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zen wrote:
Thats a lot more complicated than it should have to be. Maybe its better to use a mini instead.

That's more complicated than it should have to be because:
- my TV doesn't have a widescreen mode for 16:9 content
- the AppleTV doesn't have a letterbox mode for 4:3 TVs

Granted, I knew all this when I bought it, but I was half-expecting Apple to release a simple software update to add 4:3 support to the AppleTV, which could easily be done. After all, the AppleTV wasn't supposed to support 480i either, but it did anyway.

Last edited by Yvan256 on Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
marka87uk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really liked this introduction to Leopard; makes me want it even more! Very Happy
clintbradford

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Preparing for Upgrade Reply with quote

Our good friends at MacFixIt have an excellent tutorial on getting prepared for upgrading this Friday. Unfortunately, too many people will NOT properly prepare themselves, and then blame Apple for locking up their machines...

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20071023091749337

Clint Bradford
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Preparing for Upgrade Reply with quote

clintbradford wrote:
Our good friends at MacFixIt have an excellent tutorial on getting prepared for upgrading this Friday. Unfortunately, too many people will NOT properly prepare themselves, and then blame Apple for locking up their machines...

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20071023091749337

Clint Bradford

That is an excellent guide for newbies. It might even be good for us old creatures of habit to take a peak at. Wink
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: