123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Posts Guided Tour of Leopard Video
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Apple Posts Guided Tour of Leopard Video Reply with quote

Apple Posts Guided Tour of Leopard Video
Friday, October 19, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

Apple has posted a guided tour video of Mac OS X Leopard. It's presented and narrated by John, an Apple retail store employee. He'll walk you through some of the new features found in Leopard. The video runs approximately twenty-seven minutes in length. Apple also offers the video for download in iPod-friendly (108MB) and "Large" (379MB) sizes.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/787.html
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm downloading the biggie to watch on my Apple TV tonight. Why? I didn't get any Netflix videos in the mail today. Laughing

Last edited by Ben Tex on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll also watch it on my AppleTV, right after opening it in QuickTime Pro and exporting it with the wrong aspect ratio. Wink
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
exporting it with the wrong aspect ratio. Wink

Oh, the horror! Shocked

I'm actually selling my Apple TV to a friend in a few weeks so I can buy another Mac mini (or nano, Pequeño, Invisa) with Leopard preinstalled on it. I'm tired of going through iTunes for everything and messing around with hacks. Plus, I'll be able to get some VIDEO_TS action going on through the new Front Row. Cool
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only seven more days! Very Happy
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:
exporting it with the wrong aspect ratio. Wink

Oh, the horror! Shocked

The AppleTV outputs anamorphic, 16:9 content on my 36", 4:3 CRT TV.

If I export with the wrong aspect ratio, in the end it shows up correctly on my TV.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:

If I export with the wrong aspect ratio, in the end it shows up correctly on my TV.

That's a time consuming process to go through every time you want to watch something. It might be time to go widescreen. Cool
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been a Mac user for a couple of months, so this will be my first experience with installing a new version of OS X. Beyond backing up files, what else are you guys doing to prepare?

I also have something to say about the new 3D Dock in Leopard. I like to keep my Dock on the left side of the screen. Does anyone else get the feeling that it's going to look strange when placed on the left or right? It just seems better suited for the bottom of the screen. I know that might sound strange, but I'm just saying...
supasnail

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting for leopard before I buy my first mini, but I am wondering just how much ram will be required to run all of that video intensive animation smoothly?. The file viewer, image previews and movie-file previews - all of which will take some juice and the poor mini might clunk and grind a bit under the strain. I hope I'm wrong... :-S

EDIT... I hadn't realised this was my first post, I must have been 'lurking' all this time. Hello to everybody lol.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supasnail wrote:
I'm waiting for leopard before I buy my first mini, but I am wondering just how much ram will be required to run all of that video intensive animation smoothly?.

I'm sure there will be reports on how it runs with different levels of RAM after it comes out, but I would recommend at least 2GB.

By the way, I like John better than the guy that did the iPod touch video. What do you think Bandit? Wink
gigaguy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the demo thru my Mini on a 46" HDTV set. I hope Leopard has improvements for large screen viewing. I know you can enlarge individual text areas and the other page parts supposedly will flow correctly around enlarged text.
I love using Mini on a large screen, will upgrade to a 2.0 Leopard Mini soon. I will be upset if a new small form factor Mac desktop replaces Mini any time soon.
ArsenicPants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel like me and Apple-John are friends now
castaway

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've really enjoyed the "Guided Tour" videos from Apple. I just wish this one would've lasted a little longer.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:

That's a time consuming process to go through every time you want to watch something. It might be time to go widescreen. Cool

Not really time-consuming, just space-wasting. I "export" as QuickTime with the original file saved in it. Takes a few seconds, a minute at most.

As for going widescreen, well, I paid over 2000$ for my 36" CRT TV. I'd need at least a 42" LCD to get the same display size for 4:3 content, and I need to keep the money for other things right now.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supasnail wrote:
I'm waiting for leopard before I buy my first mini, but I am wondering just how much ram will be required to run all of that video intensive animation smoothly?. The file viewer, image previews and movie-file previews - all of which will take some juice and the poor mini might clunk and grind a bit under the strain. I hope I'm wrong... :-S

EDIT... I hadn't realised this was my first post, I must have been 'lurking' all this time. Hello to everybody lol.

Hello and welcome supasnail, I hope you enjoy your future Mac mini. If you ever need a mount to install it under your desk, just ask me. Laughing

Leopard is supposed to run on a 867MHz G4, so a brand new Core 2 Duo should do just fine. Remember that the MacBook is Apple's flagship laptop and it has the exact same specs as the Mac mini. I can't imagine Leopard not running well on their best-selling computer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: