123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Official 3rd party iPhone apps support in February

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Official 3rd party iPhone apps support in February Reply with quote

Hot off the presses, another open letter from his holiness, Steve Jobs. Pull up a chair or a yoga mat around the campfire, grab a cup of green tea, and join me to read this.

Steve Jobs wrote:

Third Party Applications on the iPhone

Let me just say it: We want native third party applications on the iPhone, and we plan to have an SDK in developers’ hands in February. We are excited about creating a vibrant third party developer community around the iPhone and enabling hundreds of new applications for our users. With our revolutionary multi-touch interface, powerful hardware and advanced software architecture, we believe we have created the best mobile platform ever for developers.

It will take until February to release an SDK because we’re trying to do two diametrically opposed things at once—provide an advanced and open platform to developers while at the same time protect iPhone users from viruses, malware, privacy attacks, etc. This is no easy task. Some claim that viruses and malware are not a problem on mobile phones—this is simply not true. There have been serious viruses on other mobile phones already, including some that silently spread from phone to phone over the cell network. As our phones become more powerful, these malicious programs will become more dangerous. And since the iPhone is the most advanced phone ever, it will be a highly visible target.

Some companies are already taking action. Nokia, for example, is not allowing any applications to be loaded onto some of their newest phones unless they have a digital signature that can be traced back to a known developer. While this makes such a phone less than “totally open,” we believe it is a step in the right direction. We are working on an advanced system which will offer developers broad access to natively program the iPhone’s amazing software platform while at the same time protecting users from malicious programs.

We think a few months of patience now will be rewarded by many years of great third party applications running on safe and reliable iPhones.

Steve

P.S.: The SDK will also allow developers to create applications for iPod touch.

This is awesome news. Official support for third party applications is one of the few final roadblocks preventing me from buying an iPod touch or an iPhone. I'm glad Apple has been proactive in letting everyone know what's coming up, though I'm disappointed it took them four months to announce this. Now if they just incorporate a GPS module in there, I'd be even more excited.
khisayruou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts exactly, its about time they heard the masses! I just hope medical programs will be developed on it, then it will be a must buy for me.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khisayruou wrote:
I just hope medical programs will be developed on it, then it will be a must buy for me.

What type of medical programs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: